EMU Womens Lacrosse Vs. Marquette

EMU Lacrosse suffers overtime defeat against Xavier: Final Score 13-12

Eastern Michigan University's lacrosse team fought hard in Ypsilanti, Michigan, led by Mackenzie Blackwell's (North Beach, Md.) four goals and Maddie Porter's (Montrose, New York/Hendrick Hudson) 13 saves.

Despite the efforts, Xavier University made a comeback, winning 13-12 in overtime.

The game unfolded at the Scicluna Field, where the Eagles and the Musketeers engaged in a relentless exchange of goals. Despite Eastern Michigan's spirited performance, highlighted by a five-goal surge ignited by Caitlin Beahm (Toms River, N.J.), the determined Musketeers fought back, leveling the score at 10-10 in the final quarter.

Blackwell seemed to secure victory for EMU as tension mounted, but Xavier mounted a last-gasp effort, knotting the score at 12-12 with a mere 13 seconds remaining. A sudden thunderstorm swept in, halting proceedings and forcing the teams indoors for an unprecedented overtime showdown.

In a heart-stopping overtime period, Xavier seized control, clinching victory with a decisive strike just under two minutes into the extra period.

Despite Eastern Michigan's gallant effort, the day belonged to the Musketeers, leaving the Eagles to rue what might have been in this captivating lacrosse duel.

EMU's lacrosse team had eight players score goals in one game, including Kendall Nagle's (Sudlersville, Md.) first goal ever as an Eagle. This ties into the second-highest number of different players scoring in a game.

Meanwhile, Avery Schwab (Dublin, Ohio) continues to etch her name into the school's record books. Following her remarkable 2023 season where she shared the team lead in assists, Schwab has now solidified her legacy by setting a new school record with 19 assists in 2024.

Her consistent performance, including three assists against Xavier University, marks her fourth game this season with three or more assists, further highlighting her pivotal role in the team's success.

With this loss, Eastern fell to 6-7 overall while Xavier improved to 4-11.

The Eagles are gearing up for an exhilarating week with not one, but two thrilling matchups on the horizon. The intensity continues as the Eagles hit the road for their final regular-season away game against Youngstown State University on Sunday, April 21, with the action starting at noon in Youngstown, Ohio.

For more updates on the EMU women’s lacrosse team, you can visit our sports section weekly.