The window of Ypsilanti City Hall.

Ypsilanti City Council declares May 19-25 Public Works Week

The Ypsilanti City Council unanimously passed a resolution declaring May 19-25 as Public Works Week during their meeting on Tuesday, May 14th, 2024. This special designation acknowledges and celebrates the contributions of public works professionals to the daily life and well-being of Ypsilanti's residents.

Public works encompasses a wide range of essential services, including maintaining roads, bridges, water and sewer systems, parks, and other vital infrastructure. The council's resolution specifically highlighted the dedication and hard work of these individuals, often working behind the scenes to ensure the smooth operation of such critical services.

The resolution emphasized the diverse skills and expertise of public works professionals that work in Ypsilanti, ranging from engineers and technicians to maintenance workers and administrative staff. It also acknowledged the challenges they face in maintaining aging infrastructure while adapting to new technologies and environmental concerns.

During Public Works Week, the city plans to host various events and activities to raise awareness about the importance of public works and to honor the individuals who make it possible.

Council Member Evan Sweet & Council Member Roland Tooson, who authored the resolution, expressed their gratitude for the tireless efforts of public works professionals and encouraged residents to join them in celebrating these unsung heroes during Public Works Week.

“City Council urges all citizens to join with representatives of the American Public Works Association and government agencies in activities, events, and ceremonies designed to pay tribute to all public works professionals and their substantial contributions," the resolution stated.