Gymnastics 4-9 after KSU loss

The Eastern Michigan University gymnastics team lost Saturday to No. 20 Kent State University 194.900 – 194.025 at Bowen Fieldhouse.
The Eagles record falls to 4-9 overall, 2-4 in MAC play. But Coach Steve Wilce sees the good in the loss for his squad’s morale.

“We’ve been waiting for this,” Wilce said. “Our girls are finally putting it all together.”

The meet started with the Eagles on the vault while the Golden Flashes started at the uneven parallel bars. Senior Nikole Viltz had the high score for the Eagles on the vault, 9.800, but the Golden Flashes’ Nikki Moore posted the same score.

Wilce said half of the team’s starting lineup has been out and has looked toward his younger girls to carry the team.

On the uneven parallel bars the high score went to KSU’s Lindsay Runyan with 9.900.

The Eagles’ high scores came from junior Kristen Yourick, 9.750; junior Stacie Wood, 9.775 and freshman Taylor Patterson, 9.750.

On the balance beam, Viltz posted the high score for the team, 9.825. KSU did a little better having high scores from Christina Lenny (9.925), and Marie Case (9.850).

Freshman Miranda Jarvis had a good performance on the floor mat with a high score of 9.850. EMU’s junior Kristen Yourick and junior Stacie Wood had the next best scores for the Eagles with 9.725. KSU’s high score came from Christine Abou Mitri with a score of 9.775.

With the near win, the team has found a new wave of confidence.

“We’re a lot more confident now. We came in thinking we were going to lose badly, and we didn’t,” freshman Kaylee Meyers said.

Both squads were sporting pink T-shirts in an effort to raise money for breast cancer research through the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
The team raised close to $4,000 for Saturday’s meet.

As for the MAC Championships that start at 2 p.m. Saturday in Mount Pleasant, Wilce said his team is coming together at the right time of year.

Freshman Brittany Ekstedt says she can’t wait to get there.

“We’re really excited and positive in our abilities,” Ekstedt said. “We just need to do our best and put on a good show for the MAC.”