Softball loses 4-0 to Bowling Green

The Eastern Michigan University softball team had little rest following Friday’s doubleheader against the University of Toledo, when it lost 4-0 to the Bowling Green State University Falcons Saturday afternoon at Varsity Field.

“We have to attack pitches,” coach Karen Baird said after the game. “That’s what we were doing yesterday [against Toledo], we were more aggressive.”

Saturday’s game was the “Knock Cancer out of the Park” game for EMU as well as Alumni Day at Varsity Field. A number of former players were among the 250 people at the game.

Jamie Kertes (W, 9-10) went the distance for the Falcons (22-17, 6-9 Mid-American Conference),
tossing a complete-game, four-hit shutout.

For the Eagles (12-28-1, 2-11 MAC), junior left-hander Lauren Wells (L, 0-17) got the start. She lasted 5 1/3 innings, giving up four runs (three earned) on four hits, while walking and striking out four batters.

Sophomore left fielder Jenn Lucas, the hero of the team’s 14-13 walk-off win in game two of Friday’s doubleheader, went 2-for-3 at the plate—the only Eagle batter with more than one hit.

Also with another hit on Saturday was sophomore second baseman Amanda Stanton.

Baird was direct about her thoughts on Lucas and Stanton’s day at the plate.

“They were aggressive, they were attacking the ball, and that’s what you have to do,” Baird said.

The game was scoreless until the top of the third, when Hannah Fulk stole third base, but ended up scoring when EMU senior catcher Courtney Loe overthrew third base.

In the top of the fifth, after Wells walked BGSU Fulk and Paige Berger, Katie Yoho hit a three-run shot off the flag pole in center field to give the Falcons the 4-0 lead, which EMU would never chip into.

“She got a couple walks and then gave up the big hit … that’s tough,” Baird said. “Walks come back and unfortunately they can get you.”

Wells was succinct about her performance on Saturday.

“Obviously the walks killed me, because that’s basically what they scored on aside from the home run,” Wells said.

Despite the loss, the Eagles remain hopeful for the team’s series finale Sunday.

“We’re still hanging in there,” Stanton said. “We’re trying. We’ve just got to have it all come together at once.”

Stanton also mentioned her support for Wells.

“She’s been struggling a bit, but I have confidence … we all have confidence in her,” Stanton said.
The Eagles lost Sunday’s game 6-1. A full recap will be available in Thursday’s paper.

The Eagles next take on the Miami University of Ohio RedHawks Friday in a doubleheader at Varsity Field. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.