News Briefs, Nov. 28

Monday, Nov. 30

Hillel, the Muslim Student Association and Unite EMU will be hosting an Interfaith Dinner at 6 p.m. in the McKenny Ballroom. According to their collegiatelink.net page, this will be a meeting of all three Abraham religions: Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Donations will go to Food Gatherers, a food bank that serves the needy in Washtenaw County. This event is free and LBC approved.

Tuesday, Dec. 1

EMU will hold a Syllabus Tune Up Workshop from 4-6 p.m. in Mark-Jefferson room 124. This will be a chance for students to talk with faculty about ways to fine tune their course syllabi for the winter semester. Space is limited, so interested students will have to register by Monday evening at emich.edu/facdev/syllabusworkshops. There will be two more workshops on Friday, Dec. 4 and Wednesday, Dec. 9.

EMU's Women's Basketball team is going up against Oral Roberts at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center. Tickets can be bought online for $10 at emueagles.com/tickets.

EMU professor Don Ritzenhein will give a talk on the Detroit Institute of Arts at 8:30 p.m. in the King Hall Lounge. During the city's recent chapter 11 bankruptcy, the city came very close to selling the DIA. Ritzenhein is a board member at the DIA. This free talk is hosted by the Non-Profit Leadership Alliance, a student group that helps students prepare for nonprofit work.

Wednesday, Dec. 2

The Women's Resource Center will host a lecture from Lindsey Krantz about women behind bars at 12:30 p.m. in room 300 in Halle Library. According to the EMU calendar, Krantz will be talking about “the reality of menstruating while in prison, detention or jail.” Which they say isn't “consistent with the standards of Human dignity.” This event is free and LBC approved.

The Non-Profit Leadership Alliance will be hosting a talk by Alison Foreman at 5 p.m. in the King Hall Lounge. Foreman is a guest speaker from Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels, a non-profit that brings low cost food to those who are disabled or seniors with low mobility. According to the EMU calendar, she will be talking about how she got onto that career path, how students can volunteer and how nonprofits work in the real world. This event, is free. More information can be found on emich.edu/nonprofit.

Thursday, Dec. 3

The Quirk-Spongberg Theatre will be hosting the Interp/Performance Studies Program at 4 p.m. According to the EMU calendar, Thursday's topic will be closure. It will be explored through dance, song, slam poetry, performance art and puppetry. The show will include original works by students, staff and professors. This is free and LBC approved.

Lyric Lounge will be held at 9 p.m. in Room 300 of the Student Center. This Slam Poetry night is made in cooperation between Campus Life and the Poetry Society. EMU After Dark described it as an event that “provides a space to explore the most relevant topics of our generation.”