Eastern Michigan University hosts second annual EagleFest

Eastern Michigan University has over 200 student organizations. EagleFest is an opportunity for new and returning EMU students to learn about all of them in one place.

On Sept. 9, new and returning Eagles had the opportunity to learn more about the wide variety of student organizations Eastern Michigan University has to offer, as over 200 student organizations filled the Student Center patio and University Park.

Not only could students learn more about student organizations, they could also participate in other fun events that were being offered. University Park was lined with inflatables and food trucks, students could participate in yard games and giveaways, and they could enjoy a photo booth and DJ.

One of the many student organizations students had the chance to learn more about was The Super Smash Brothers Club.

EMU's Super Smash Brothers Club allows players of all skill levels to join a fun, supportive environment to play and learn more about the popular game and to build long-lasting friendships.

Club President Timothy Bonk said he believes EagleFest is an important event for students to attend.

"It allows them to have the chance to learn about our organization and is a great opportunity to personally connect with and get to know [us]; allowing them to feel even more comfortable before club meetings begin," Bonk said.

Bonk encourages interested students to visit The Super Smash Brothers Club Facebook and Discord group to learn more about their organization and find friends to play with.

Another organization students had the opportunity to visit was the Women's Ultimate Frisbee Team: The Raging Peacocks.

The Raging Peacocks are always looking for new members to join. They are a group of fun-loving women who are passionate about frisbee and aren't afraid to get dirty.

Rachele Cate is currently a junior at EMU and is a cutter for the ultimate frisbee team.

"My job in games is to get around my defender to give a handler the opportunity to send the disc to me," Cate said.

Cate encourages incoming club members to be open to learning and trying something new.

"I've never been big into sports, but Ultimate [Frisbee] is unlike any sport I know of," she said. "Don't worry too much about being on the learning curve, because your teammates will be there to help and support you every step of the way. I'm sure the same is true for any organization. You're going to learn and grow, but you're not going to do it alone."

To learn more about the Raging Peacocks and upcoming events, visit their Instagram or Facebook page.

The Young Democratic Socialists of EMU is another student organization one may have had the chance to visit at EagleFest.

YDS' goal is to increase political activity in the community, voting for presidential candidates, and getting students registered to vote.

Colton Ray, YDS president, believes that EagleFest is a great opportunity for students to see how diverse in thought and beliefs campus can be.

"I'd be surprised if any student walked away from EagleFest this year not finding at least one organization that would be of interest to them," Ray said.

For incoming club members, Ray encourages them to not be afraid to question authority and the "status quo."

"I think you need to be your own representative in life, and our systems need to bring everyone to the table or else that table will be flipped," he said.

To learn more about the Young Democratic Socialists of EMU and upcoming events, visit their Twitter or Facebook page.

Savannah Currier, graduate assistant for student organizations in campus life, hopes that students left EagleFest with connections and information for organizations on campus.

"Hopefully, having made those connections and meeting new people, they feel a little more at home here," Currier said.

Although the 2019 EagleFest has come to a close, there are always opportunities to find a new student organization to join. For more information, visit https://www.emich.edu/campuslife/student-orgs.