macey-bundt-AVXrEyc5ViE-unsplash.jpg

Opinion: The case for adopting a black cat in the fall

With the Halloween season fast approaching, black cats are at danger of being attacked and mistreated. Here's the case for why you should adopt one instead.

Everyone has heard the myth that if you are walking alone and a black cat crosses your path, you are destined to have bad luck. On the other hand, it is said if you cross paths with a white cat, you are destined to have good luck and fortune. This is largely because in history, the color black is associated with death, evil, and ruin, while the color white is associated with purity, heaven, and positivity. 

However, what you may not know is that because of these myths and superstitions there are numerous black cats in shelters that are just sitting there without a loving & welcoming home. It takes black cats nearly twice as long to get adopted versus a tabby or Persian, according to an article from the CTPost on black cats.

Black cats have the short end of the stick when it comes to the spooky season as well. Due to their color and the stories told about them in some scary legends, many of these cats struggle during the Halloween season. Many are left in shelters or on the street because nobody wants to claim an animal that is rumored to be evil or bring bad luck. 

There are also the cruel people out there that pick up these poor cats and use them for evil purposes. There are people that use these cats as sacrifices or as decorations.

This is cruel and unjust for these poor fur babies; cats are a precious gift to us. They are many people’s companions and offer support to nearly every owner. Black cats are not the mean, evil animals they are portrayed as. These cats are sweet and caring in many ways.

That brings me to my call to action: these cats need people to adopt them. They need a family they can call their forever home. They need someone who will look past their color and the myths and love them for them. Taking one of these fur babies into your home would not only help them and give them a warm cozy home, but it would also help you. Cats are known to help relieve stress and increase happiness.

Having a cat is like having another best friend. Someone who is there for you and cares about you. So, if you can find it in yourself and you feel prepared to take on the responsibility of owning one of these lovely beauties, please adopt a black cat. They need you, especially during this time of the year.