Hertz offering vehicles accessible to students

A new service to Eastern Michigan University students, faculty and staff since the fall semester, Hertz On-Demand, is gaining positive feedback.

The free membership program which allows renters to use either of two environmentally-friendly hybrid vehicles for $8/hr is the first of its kind to EMU’s campus but is gaining interest.

Audri Hileman, a graduate assistant for Campus Life, said the amount of rentals has surprised her.

“I thought at first it was going to be used by students mostly, but it’s been used by everyone—students and faculty and staff,” Hileman said. “We haven’t had anything like this before on campus so it’s a positive reflection of how Eastern is gaining resources.”

Zach Damon, a film and theatre student at Eastern, felt similar. He transferred this fall from a community college and hadn’t heard of anything like it.

“It really says a lot about Eastern,” Damon, who travels via bus routes, said. “The fact they’re trying to help everyone get to school is impressive. Other schools don’t do that.”

Hertz provides the On-Demand service to 50 universities across the country. Of those, EMU is the only one in Michigan.

According to Hileman, Hertz originally pitched the idea to Campus Life.

“I’m not surprised Eastern didn’t take them up on the offer,” Hileman said. “Not only is it good for us, it’s a great marketing tool for Hertz.”
To access the vehicles, individuals must first establish a membership account, free of charge, by going to www.hertzondemand.com.

After one to two weeks, the membership application will be processed. If approved, the member will receive a smart card which allows access to the vehicle for the time period they reserve the car.

“Everything is done in advance online,” Hileman said. “When you need the car, you rent it online. On the day of your pickup, you swipe your card on a device on the door and it unlocks. The keys will be inside for you already and the system keeps track of how long you have the car so it can bill your credit card.”

The two vehicles, a Ford Fusion and Escape, are kept in the Mayhew lot adjacent to the Department of Public Safety. For $8/hr. members can rent either one including gas, insurance up to 180 miles, GPS navigation and 24-hour Roadside Assistance.

Individuals may submit up to three credit cards in their membership, so the membership can be used for personal needs or for business use using an EMU Purchasing Card.

Zena Alsahati, a communications major at EMU, said renting a car would help her immensely.

“If I had a driver’s license, I’d rent a car for sure,” Alsahati said. “I have a break between two classes—one is here at the main campus and one at the College of Business. I can never make my class at the COB on time because the buses are always running late. I’m glad my professor is easier on me about it now, because there’s just nothing I can do about it until I get my license.”

Comparable to the urban popular Zip Car concept, the Hertz service allows several people to share one rental vehicle for short periods of time as needed, rather than renting all day by the day. This is usually for those who take short business trips off campus, etc.

For more information, contact Campus Life at 734-487-3045.