US NEWS INAUGURATION 97 TB

Jay-Z coming to EMU on Oct. 21

World-famous rapper to perform at Convocation Center next month

On Oct. 21, world-famous rapper Jay-Z will be performing an all-ages show at EMU’s Convocation Center. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the show starts at 8 p.m.

Tickets go on sale for EMU students with a valid ID at 10 a.m. Tuesday. Student tickets will run $25, limit of two per customer. Tickets go on sale to the public on Friday, with three pricing options — $35, $50 and $75.

Best known for his hits like “Big Pimpin’,” “Hard Knock Life” and “99 Problems,” Jay-Z is widely considered one of the most influential and talented artists in hip-hop, and has been a critical and commercial success for the past two decades.

The show is part of his fall U.S. tour in support of his new album, “The Blueprint 3,” which hits stores Friday.

Earlier this year he made headlines when he left his longtime label Def Jam and signed a multi-million dollar contract with the concert promoter Live Nation, who will release his new album and produce the tour.

His newest hit off of the upcoming album is “D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune),” which criticizes the widespread use of Auto-Tune in the music industry. Auto-tune is a computer program which automatically corrects pitch in instrumentals and vocals giving vocals an almost robotic quality.

Never one to shy away from criticizing his fellow musicians and the music industry in general, Jay-Z is well known for his feuds with other rappers such as Nas, Lil’ Wayne and The Game.

In addition to his prominent career in music, Jay-Z is a successful businessman with his own clothing line, several clubs in New York City and a part-ownership of the New Jersey Nets. He is married to actress and singer Beyoncé.