GREEN

GREEN's first EcoBash to stress environmentalism, involvement

Today in Phelps/Sellers lounge will be the first ever EcoBash.

EcoBash is an event put on by Gathering Resources to Educate about our Environment and Nature in order to help the Eastern Michigan University student population get involved in environmentalism on campus.

EcoBash will be taking place between 5-7 p.m.

There will be three separate stations with a program coordinator at every table. The three tables represent the three main areas of GREEN. The three areas are eco series, green week (which is held in March) and service projects. During the program there will be a couple of activities people can participate in to win prizes.

For those who want to play there is an informational sheet that acts as a scavenger hunt. The most complete responses will win prizes, including reusable tote bags, T-shirts and recycled note books.

The game of trashketball will also be played throughout the program. Trashketball is a recycling and sorting competition that is like basketball. A bin will be set up that is filled with plastic, paper and aluminum. Three competitors will be assigned one of the three materials. The goal is to shoot your material into your bin to score a point. Whoever has the most points at the end is the winner, and will receive a prize.

“GREEN gives you the chance of helping the community with things that ordinarily wouldn’t get done,” Chris Halliwill, student program coordinator said. “There will be food, fun and the chance to be involved with a service organization. If you want to be Green the information will be given to you.”

GREEN was created in 2001 as a service organization, and is a part of the VISION Volunteer Center, which is included in the Department of Diversity and Community Involvement.

“I became program coordinator during the winter of 2006,” Halliwill said. “There were maybe half a dozen people. Now there are around 60-70 at our biggest event, Capture the Trash. Help make the university GREEN friendly. Attending an informational is a good base to get knowledge about what’s going on and what you as a single person can do about it.”