Man, 19, pleads guilty to murder

The 19-year-old Ypsilanti resident arrested in the May shooting death of 18-year-old Cortez Donald pled guilty to second-degree murder.

The information is according to a Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office release, which said Daniel Haywood pled guilty to a felony firearm charges in addition to the murder charge.

The release said Haywood could face a minimum of 20 years in prison with the two convictions.

The original incident took place on May 28, near Donald’s home at the 200 block Kirk Street in Ypsilanti Township. After the incident, Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Cmdr. Dieter Heren said an ongoing feud between the two different parties led to the shooting. He said the dispute started with an outstanding debt of $40 on an $80 watch owed by Donald’s friend.

“The victim brandished a gun, put away the gun and the other party shot him,” Heren said after the shooting.

Donald was found at the side of his residence and transported to St. Joseph where he was pronounced dead.

Haywood’s sentencing is scheduled for next month.

Two other suspects were arraigned following Donald’s shooting death. All given $2.5 million bonds and charged with open murder and felony weapons charges, 27-year-old Ozell Johnson and 17-year-old Emmanuel Hopkins were arraigned with Haywood three days after Donald was shot to death.

The Citizen has requested more information on Hopkins and Johnson. This story will be updated as soon as information is received.

Visit YpsiCiti.com for more local news, sports and events
updated daily.