Amanda Lefled, the director of busines opperations at Snow Health Center, is shown here posting a sign with information about move in day vaccination times.

EMU freezes health insurance rates

Eastern Michigan University and UnitedHealthcare have agreed to maintain the 2009-2010 student health insurance rates for the upcoming school year.

UnitedHealthcare scheduled a five percent increase, but EMU approached the Dallas-based company about not raising the rates, and the company agreed.

Ellen Gold, executive director of University health services and interim assistant vice president for student affairs and enrollment management, said in a release the university is “grateful” for the decision the company made.

“This is a tough economy and a challenging time for students and their families,” Gold said. “We want to help them in every way possible.”

The plan will cost $943 annually for students, and they are given the option of buying a policy on a semester basis of $315 per semester. Students can now have the costs charged to their student account.
Some were surprised to find out EMU offers health insurance.

Jessica Parsons, a potential transfer student, said she wasn’t aware of the program but she is interested in learning more about it.

“I’ve come on campus a couple of times so far because I’m currently trying to transfer here, but none of the EMU representatives mentioned it to me,” she said. “I wish they did though because my parents just put me under their insurance, but they would rather me have my own. They should do more promotions or something.”

Pat Short, EMU’s insurance specialist, said anyone who is a student can be seen at Snow Health. The pharmacy participates with a large number of insurance companies such as Blue Cross Michigan and Medicaid Michigan, but the clinic only participates with EMU’s student insurance program.

Even so, individuals with a different type of insurance can still get their charges paid.

“The clinic will provide you with an itemized receipt that has all of the necessary medical coding on it so that an individual can submit that to their insurance company, and then they will be reimbursed directly according to their particular coverage,” Short said.

Besides coverage for students, the insurance also provides coverage for spouses and dependents. Under the policy, medical services for illness and injury are covered. One well-visit, including x-rays, is also covered.

According to the insurance brochure, students must use the resources of Snow Health Center or receive a referral.

“If you need the services of a specialty doctor they would issue a referral to you,” Short said. “That referral is key to payment outside of Snow.”

Dependent children however are not eligible for usage of referrals, according to the brochure.

Services received outside of Snow without prior approval or referrals are excluded from coverage, but certain exceptions can be made.

A medical emergency, services received at another facility during break or vacation periods, maternity and Snow Health being closed are examples of exemptions made when determining coverage.

Short said the policy provides worldwide coverage, and students should try to be seen no matter where they are if an emergency takes place.

“If it is a life-threatening situation, broken bones or requiring stitches, you need to go to the nearest emergency room,” she said. “You would have a 100 dollar deductible and coverage would be 70 to 80 percent.”

A deductible is the amount of money that must be pay toward a medical bill before the insurance company pays.
Some students aware of the program said they are hesitant to purchase the insurance because of coverage worries.

Ashley Washington said, “I did know that EMU had health insurance but I wouldn’t purchase it because I’m unsure if I could use it practically everywhere like I do with Blue Cross.”

James Walker is skeptical about the insurance.

“I’ve read through the brochure before, but I was curious about some of the aspects of coverage,” he said. “Is dental covered? What about if I need my eyes checked out? I’ve tried to contact the company, but the lady I talked to wasn’t helpful. It would be nice if my insurance were through my school though.”

For more information from University Health Services, visit emich.edu/uhs.