Eventful last decade summed up

‘00s brought change

Oh, the last decade – a time of tribulations, political bouts and semantic arguments. It has been a time where uncertainty springs from the violent nature of the world. Terrorist attacks from extreme militant groups have targeted not only our country, but also many different countries abroad.

These attacks, such as the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center, caused good ol’ President George W. Bush to start the War on Terror. This in turn caused the American invasion of Afghanistan, and eventually the Iraq War. Violence starting violence starting violence; not my idea of a good solution

The last ten years have also spawned some of the most controversial presidential elections ever. Both terms, President Bush was elected in one of the closest decisions ever, with him losing the popular vote against Al Gore. This thing makes little sense, but is entirely possible due to our proxy Electoral College.

Also, one cannot forget the devastation wreaked on our country by natural disasters. Hurricane Katrina was probably the worst hurricane on record. That devastation, coupled with the fact FEMA completely dropped the ball, will leave a lasting impression on the people of this country, particularly those affected.

There was also the BP screw-up over this past summer. They tried to cut a few corners to save some money, and what happened? BP’s accelerated plan ruined our oceans. Great work BP, you guys rock!

By the way, what’s sarcasm?

Another thing that upset me was the deplanetization of Pluto. How can a planet be a planet for so long only to not be a planet? I know that sounds confusing, but that’s how it was. Pluto was a planet, and then Pluto wasn’t a planet. That might be my least favorite event of the last decade. Makes me sad my nephew won’t even be taught there were nine planets.

This decade also saw the election of America’s very first African-American president. Some would say this was a true sign of progress, while some would say it was simply the lesser of two evils. I agree with both thoughts, and though I preferred Obama to McCain, I could see the positives and negatives of both. My vote ended up with the candidate who wasn’t insane, which was probably the right choice.

Just know, my dear readers, I couldn’t possibly touch on every major event of the last decade; I hit the ones that impacted our nation the most. I could go on and on about the advancement of technology, the near-collapse of the stock market, the ever-laughable Axis of Evil and many other things.

Look at the bright side though. From here things can only get better.