Don't go gaga over Gaga

Turn it Up – The Strokes – “Under Cover of Darkness” (Single)

The Strokes — the kings of “I swore it was still the ‘70s” — are back with their new single,
“Under Cover of Darkness” from the upcoming album Angles. A sugary, old-school track that will make you nostalgic for both 2001 and 1977 marks the band’s triumphant return after 2005’s fan-displeaser First Impressions of Earth.

It’s one of those happy rock tunes you’re glad to crank up at any time of the week, at any volume. And it sounds like the old Strokes: A mushy, warm bass bleeds into tap-along drums. Two signature sloppy guitars make up the song’s hook, and the guitar harmonies kind of sounds like the guys in Thin Lizzy were either too drunk or too lazy to care, but all of this is a good thing. Audiences have spoken, and an over-produced version of the Strokes isn’t something they’re interested in. Angles should be a return to form for the strokes, and if their many tour dates are any indication (including a show at Madison Square Garden,) people are excited for the Strokes’ return.

Turn it Down – Lady Gaga – “Born this Way” (Single)

It happens more than you’d think: an artist coops him or herself up in a studio and rumor gets around that they are working on a masterpiece. Hype builds in the media circuit and once the album hits your record, cd or mp3 player, it sounds like a piece of crap. It happened in the ‘60s with Beach Boy Brian Wilson’s compromised version of Smile, in 2008 with Axl Rose’s Chinese Democracy and it’s happening again this year with Lady Gaga’s single “Born this Way.” Strip away the mystique of Gaga’s costumes and stage antics and you’re left with a modern (modern doesn’t equal “not corny”) take on disco that sounds more tired than the stuff from the ‘70s. The song sounds like something even Pink, the queen of inspirational “gonna be who I am” tunes would turn down. Lady Gaga’s latest over-hyped single proves the praise for “Born this Way” came way too soon.

Local Song – The Sleep of Reason – “You’re Killing Me, Smalls” (Demo)

If you’re from Ypsilanti and are into heavy music, you’re looking in all the wrong places if you haven’t seen or heard of The Sleep of Reason. The band hails from the heart of Ypsilanti, and is proud of it. Their latest demo, “You’re Killing Me, Smalls,” is a great step forward for the metal-core group from their previous single, “Conception,” in both content and production quality. With a chant-along chorus and changes that knock your feet out from under you, “You’re Killing Me, Smalls” show that fans have a lot to look forward to from The Sleep of Reason. And the band is looking at becoming a touring entity in the near future – so catch them in town while you still can. “You’re Killing Me, Smalls” can be heard at purevolume.com/thesleepofreason