Hairston

Genuine Hairston is a team player, too

Eastern Michigan University’s women’s basketball guard India Hairston was raised in Flint. The 6-foot-3-inch sophomore went to Hamady High School, where she helped her team reach the Michigan Class-C state championship averaging 12 points and six rebounds in her last season.

Hairston’s basketball career began in the 10th grade. Since then, she has come to like the versatility that basketball provides.

“The best part about basketball is the multiple positions,” Hairston said. “Being a post player, I love when I get the chance in practice to be a guard in some drills.”

In her search for a new school there were many places that Hairston considered. The top four consisted of EMU, University of Detroit-Mercy, University of Arkansas Pine-Bluff and Mississippi State University. When the time came for her to make a decision and commit to one school, she decided to go with the family atmosphere of EMU.

“They made me feel at home and a part of a big happy family,” Hairston said. “Everyone is funny in their own way. There is never a dull moment with our team.”

In her freshman season at EMU, Hairston played in 26 of the team’s 31 contests. She also posted a .667 percentage from the line. This season Hairston has played in all 25 of the Eagle’s games. She averages three rebounds and has posted a total of 12 steals and seven blocks.

Hairston scored a team-high 12 points in its game against Oregon State and has led the team’s rebounding efforts in three contests this season. One of those games was at Akron where she grabbed 14 boards to help the team defeat the Zips 56-51.

“She’s either going to score or she’s going to defend,” teammate Tara Johnson said. “She’s always bringing something to the table, and I know she’s giving it everything that she has.”
In her two years as an Eagle, Hairston has already made strides at becoming a leader on the team. Coach AnnMarie Gilbert says this is a direct effect of her increased physical and mental toughness.

“She is one of the sweetest, most genuine kids I’ve ever coached,” Gilbert said. “What you see is what you get with her. She would rather you score than herself; genuine is a word that epitomizes that kid. She sees how she fits into something bigger and knows what she contributes to it.”

On game day, Hairston does not follow any specific routine. But one thing does remain constant; her iPod’s playlist. With songs by Trey Songz, Wiz Khalifa and Lil’ Wayne, Hairston finds a way to slip into her zone. Before leaving the locker room Hairston makes a beat that teammate De’Ja Wills does a pre-game dance.

“Every game we have a different beat,” Johnson said. “She just loves music.”

In her spare time Hairston likes to go shopping, watch movies and go bowling. She also has a love for music.

“I am really into music,” Hairston said. “Music is like my outlet.”

Hairston is a sport management major and upon graduation she plans to either play in the WNBA or somewhere overseas. Her backup plan is to return to school and become a sports agent or a sports physician.