Daniels drops out, might be for the best

Mitch Daniels isn’t running for president. The establishment Republican political observer and scholar inside of me is utterly heartbroken. He was just about everything I was looking for in a president. He had the right kind of experience, he had the right personality, the right demeanor and the right values.

He decided not to run last week because his wife and daughters didn’t want him to. He bowed out for all of the right reasons, which of course, makes me want him to run even more. He’s a reluctant politician with incredible skill in the tradition of George Washington or Cincinnatus.

By deciding not to run, he became an even more attractive candidate. We’re worse off because of it, but his family isn’t. He said he loves his country, but loves his family more. He’d make a great president, but apparently is a better husband and father.

Mitch Daniels reminds me a lot of a girl I dated in high school, which makes me think this story might have a happy ending.

The girl and I were about a month away from going off to college and had been talking about trying to make the hour or two between us work. Then, out of nowhere, she decided it wasn’t a good idea and that we should end things.It was a perfectly rational decision. I should have made it myself. I respected it, but was still pretty upset.

That was Mitch Daniels last weekend. The way he left reminded me why I wanted him to stay.

Less than a year after my break up, I met the girl I’m going to marry next May. I probably wouldn’t have met my future wife if my high school girlfriend hadn’t decided to break it off. In a strange way, that break up led me to where I wanted to go.

Hopefully, Daniels has just done the same. Maybe this breakup will lead us into the arms of John Huntsman or Tim Pawlenty, and maybe we were supposed to be with them all along.

The break up was hard, but it was the right thing to do. Here’s hoping our break up with Mitch Daniels has a similar ending to my personal life.