EMU vice president of student affairs to step down Jan. 7, 2013

Bernice Lindke, vice president of student affairs, announced that she will be retiring in an email sent at 8:09 a.m. on Feb. 20.

Though her retirement will not be effective until Jan. 7, 2013, Lindke said it was necessary to inform the university of her decision so that the search for her replacement could begin.

“If you do a search for a vice president of student affairs, the spring time is generally the time that you start the search. Sometimes those searches are a little lengthy because people don’t usually move until the fall,” she said.

Lindke said her decision to retire was made for personal reasons.

“I’ve been reflecting on retirement for the last year because my husband’s been retired for about a year and a half,” she said. “I really want to have some good quality time in my later years and I’m ready.”

Lindke was made vice president of student affairs and enrollment management in 2009.

She has been a part of Eastern Michigan University’s administration since December, 1991.

Prior to coming to EMU, she worked for 20 years in local government.

According to an EMU news release from April 20, 2009, Lindke has been filled many positions during her time at EMU, including, “ director of financial aid, associate vice president for enrollment services, interim vice president for enrollment management and interim vice president for student affairs.”