Minaj's album good and bad

The only person in the music industry who gains as many puzzled looks and mixed reviews as Lady Gaga is Nicki Minaj.

Even before her first album, “Pink Friday” was released in November 2010, the first female on Young Money was already a household name. “Pink Friday” was full of radio-friendly songs, dominating the top-40 radio stations all last summer.

A year and a half later, on April 3, Minaj released her follow up, “Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded.” These aren’t exactly the same radio-friendly songs. Minaj’s focus on this album is to showcase Roman Zolanski, one of her “alter egos.” She describes Zolanski as the lunatic that lives inside her, comparing him to Eminem’s Slim Shady.

The first single released from “Roman Reloaded” was “Stupid Hoe,” a dig at fellow female rapper Lil’ Kim. Yes, ho with an ‘e.’ While this song is possibly one of the most obnoxious songs ever released, it’s awful in a way that’s almost funny. It’s the kind of song you’ll turn on in the car with a bunch of friends and sing along to.

If you didn’t see Minaj’s performance of “Roman Holiday” at the Grammy Awards this year, look it up on YouTube. Seriously, look it up right now. It’s impossible to look away. Offending Catholics all over the country, it gave us all a look into what “Roman Reloaded” would be like. Weird and all over the place.

The majority of “Roman Reloaded” sounds like “Roman’s Revenge” from “Pink Friday.” Having one manic song about absolutely nothing on an album works, but the line should be drawn at one. “Roman Holiday” features “Roman’s Mother” as well, which is Minaj with an over-the-top British accent and it’s hard to decide which is more unbearable to listen to. The song, “Roman Reloaded,” features Lil’ Wayne, and while in the past whatever “Weezy” touched turned to gold, he was unable to save the noise that was that song.

“Roman Reloaded” isn’t all bad, though. Minaj can never be lumped into one description. Sometimes it’s actually believable she might have alter egos, because it’s difficult to fathom so many different sounds can come from the mind of one person. Especially on an album with a deluxe version with 22 tracks, there has to be a bit of a mix.

We’ve already covered the “Roman” aspect of the album, and frankly it makes me a bit sad, so let’s move on.

Minaj was originally known as a rapper before a pop star, so it just wouldn’t be right for her to leave her rap out of this album. Just listen to “Beez in the Trap” and see how long that chorus is stuck in your head. In songs featuring Rick Ross, Cam’ron, 2 Chains and label mates Drake and Lil’ Wayne, we hear some of the original Minaj. Though some can embrace her pop star side, it’s good to know the girl from Queens who gave the men in Young Money a run for well, their money, is still in there somewhere.

It would be a shame to leave out Minaj’s straight-up pop music. She touches on club music like her latest single, “Starships,” making it impossible for listeners to stand still while and some R&B that helps us to remember behind that ridiculous exterior of hers, Minaj can actually sing. Songs like “Marilyn Monroe” and “Right By My Side,” which features Chris Brown, are like the “Right Thru Me’s” of “Roman Reloaded.”

While the first thing that may come to mind while listening to “Roman Reloaded” is how weird it is, or “I wonder what ridiculous expression my face is making right now,” it’s hard to deny Minaj has got something. What that something might be is a mystery and probably always will be, but it works. Minaj’s kooky personality shines through on “Roman Reloaded,” and is both a hit and a miss at the same time. Only Minaj can do that. When in doubt, just try a little bit of everything.