Only a dream, but it can come true

“This is only a dream of mine, but dreams sometimes come true,” Nneka Hartfield, Eastern Michigan University senior with a major in psychology and a minor in human sexuality said. Hartfield has ambitions most couldn’t even dream up.

“The last four years have been intense,” Hartfield said. She has worked non-stop at school for the last three years in order to become a four-year graduate.

“But after graduation I have so many things I want to accomplish,” Hartfield said. “I want to become an actor, travel the world, write a novel and have a family. I also want to become fluent in Spanish…one day. I’m the type of person that wants to do it all and I think I can.”

Hartfield realized about a year ago she wanted to be an actress.

“I love the stage and how it makes you feel,” she said. “To tell a story to an audience of people is a feeling that can’t be described. I want that to be my day job, so after graduation that is what I’ll be working on. I can’t make any promises, but hopefully one day you all will see me on the big screen. I feel like I could one day be a household name.”

Hartfield has gained on stage experience through EMU productions.

“I have been in the play, ‘Intimate Apparel’ and also participated in ‘Vagina Monologues’ two years in a row,” she said. “These were both great opportunities in helping me understand what it takes to be in a production, on stage and behind the scenes.”

Hartfield is a performer of more than one caliber.

“Not many people know I can sing,” Hartfield said. “But maybe one day they will. I took part in a jazz combo here at Eastern as a vocalist and had the time of my life. The band was amazing and our conductor was fabulous.”
Hartifeld’s ambitions have changed in more ways than one.

“When I first came to EMU, I came here for the social work program, only to realize it wasn’t for me,” she said.

After taking a class with Pam Landau, Psychology of Sex 1, she discovered a new passion.

According to Hartfield, “After that class, I was a changed person. People seem to miss the big picture when it comes to sex. They simplify it way too much. This class helped me not be one of those people.”

One class offered Hartfield a new perspective on relationships and what sex really is.

“I try to pay attention more, to listen more. I want to understand what females and males think. It’s so important that people begin to understand each other and to communicate so that they can build a strong relationship. I want to help people do that.”

Along with being an actress, Hartfield wants to pursue a career as a sex therapist.

“I want to create some kind of program that helps young adults and their parents learn how to talk about sex constructively. This would not only teach kids what sex is, but throw out all the misconceptions. It would teach parents not worry that if their kid knows about sex, that they will have sex.”

Hartfield has evolved both professionally and personally during her time at EMU and her advice to students is to, “Set goals and get involved. One mistake I made was getting involved late in my college career. Do it right off the bat, don’t wait.”

For the past three years, Hartfield has been a Resident Advisor in Walton/ Putnam.

“This has helped me a great deal, not only in a community building aspect, but to also to understand people and how to help them,” she said. “I think everyone needs to do this, if they can handle it.”

Hartfield is also a Tri Sigma of the Omicron chapter here at EMU.

“Through community service projects and sisterhoods, I was able to help others and see the joy that can come from that.”

According to Hartfield, “There are so many opportunities out there and they won’t wait for you.”

EMU offers plentiful chances to connect with our peers and the community around us.

“EMU is so diverse and that makes us all lucky,” Hartfield said. “Many before me have said that you make your lifetime friends in college. This is definitely true.

The people Hartfield has come to know have truly given meaning to her college career.

“I have met some of the most amazing people here,” she said. “These people are what make my experience unique. They help me to stick to my goals, work towards my accomplishments and encourage me when I’m down.”

After years of hard work, Hartfield will graduate with many dreams for the future.

“I guess I’m just hoping the world is ready for me and will open its arms just a little bit so that I can sneak in there and take it by storm.”