Elvis fans: 'The King' is coming back to Ypsilanti

The Michigan ElvisFest, featuring 11 award winning Elvis tribute artists performing on stage, is returning to Ypsilanti’s historic Depot Town on Friday, July 13 from 5 p.m. to midnight and Saturday, July 14 from 12 p.m. to midnight.

ElvisFest is not a look-alike contest, but a two-day concert where thousands of Elvis fans gather to honor the former king of rock ’n’ roll. Additionally, there will be tribute artists paying homage to Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Ritchie Valens and Tom Jones.

The festival will feature live musical performances, Elvis memorabilia, food and drinks (including beer), a classic car show and a trip for two to Graceland will be raffled off with the proceeds going to the Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels program.

Michigan ElvisFest, which began in Ypsilanti in 2000, is the largest tribute concert in North America and will be held in Ypsilanti’s Riverside Park at 515 E. Cross St. The event promoters said they’re expecting this year’s festival to be one of the biggest yet, with over 6000 people attending.

Festival goers are encouraged to join in and dress up as Elvis or wear their favorite poodle skirt, and there will be special events scheduled for kids on Saturday from 12-6 p.m. including face painting, arts and crafts projects, a magic show and a hula-hoop contest.

Additional event information is available at www.mielvisfest.org, including locations to purchase discounted advanced tickets and two-day passes through July 10.

Tickets at the gate will be $15 for Friday and $25 for Saturday (no two-day passes will be available at the event) and children 12 and under get in free.