EMU expands education to Asia

Thanks to a two part agreement with Korea National University of Education, Eastern Michigan University students will be able to expand their educational experience to Asia.

During a visit to EMU in mid-August, officials from both universities signed the two agreements. The first agreement calls for Korean students to study at EMU anywhere from two to four semesters, as well as calling for student and faculty exchanges as well.

“This would be a wonderful opportunity: traveling to Korea, learning a new culture and all the while pursuing a degree,” EMU freshman Yona Perry said.

The second agreement allows Korean students to study at EMU for up to a year, earning up to 15 credit hours per semester.

“I’d love to see more diversity in EMU’s student body,” Perry said. “It’d be great.”

Jann Joseph, dean of the College of Education, said there is a lot to share and learn from our partners, particularly in Asia.

“They want to learn to teach with more creativity and we know how to do it well,” he said.

There is already an existing partnership between EMU and the Korean government, giving students opportunities to earn experience as teachers in Korean schools, access to exchange programs as well as a dual-degree business program.

“This is an exciting development that adds depth and new possibilities to EMU’s programming with Korean partners,” Stephen Burwood, director of international studies at EMU, said.

“I hope it’d even improve relations with Korea,” EMU freshman Divyne Harris said.

The results of these agreements will be seen as early as 2013, when the first class is scheduled. This will boost EMU’s already booming exchange programs throughout the world, including China, India, Spain, Germany and more.