Simple, last-minute Halloween costume ideas

If you’re anything like me you let important events sneak up on you. When that important event happens to be Halloween, you may find yourself scrambling to assemble a costume that can be considered at least kind of witty and creative the morning of that spooktacular day. If this has happened to you in the past, fear not. Here are a few last-minute ideas that will insure that you will not be going to that party as “yourself.”

There is a lot you can do with random household objects. One such object is a trash bag (preferably a clean one). Poke some leg holes and arm holes in it and stuff it with pillows, and you can be a bag of trash. Not exactly the most attractive ensemble, I know, but I’m sure you can convince someone you’re going as Lady Gaga. I mean, after you rock a meat dress nothing’s too far-fetched anymore.

Toilet paper mummy costumes are probably among the oldest last-minute costumes in the book, right up there with the classic bed-sheet ghost costume, but can still be plenty of fun. Dress up in all white, dust plenty of flour all over your exposed skin, and make your eyes eerie with black eyeliner.

Sports fans can don a football jersey, socks with tennis shoes, leggings (ask your girlfriend—she’ll know) and something that will make your shoulders look really bulky. To complete the look, draw in the eye black with eyeliner and if you’re feeling especially adventurous, get “dirty” by mixing some chocolate milk powder and smudge it all over. You’ll look like you just came back from the big game, only a lot less sweaty.

Music fans can release their inner rock star by putting on your tightest, most ripped pair of jeans, a band tee and Converse. If you have enough hair for it, get your tease on by back-combing, or brushing your hair the opposite way it’s supposed to go, and loading it with hairspray. If you wanna go the glam-rock route, swap those plain ripped jeans for some sassy-patterned ones and slather as much glitter and eyeliner onto your face as humanly possible. Also, scarves. Lots of them.

Also, anything dead makes for a great costume. Are you a dancer? Take an old tutu, get it all bloody, tattered and gross looking, and be a dead ballerina. Do this with your old prom dress from high school and be a dead prom queen. Do it with an old lab coat and be a dead doctor or scientist.
Make sure your face is covered in flour so you’ll look creepy pale and don’t forget the eyeliner. As a
matter of fact, just keep some eyeliner around at all times, you’ll probably need it.

One fun idea for cartoon fans is to emulate Finn, the protagonist of “Adventure Time.” All you’ll
need is a pair of jean shorts, a light blue T-shirt, a toy sword and a green backpack. The only problematic item to acquire would be his signature hat, but you can Frankenstein one together with some cat ears and a white hat, or stick something pointy underneath the hat to give it “ears.”

Ladies, you can channel another famous toon by going as Misty from “Pokémon.” Just wear a yellow T-shirt, jean shorts, red Converse and red suspenders. Pull your hair into a side ponytail and bring along a cuddly Pokémon plushy if you have one.

Since Halloween is the best time to release all of your inner “sillies,” feel free to be as ridiculous as possible. Carry a box of Wheaties covered in fake blood and a toy knife; you’ll be the snazziest “cereal killer” at the party.

One more silly idea is to carry a picture frame with your name scribbled in the corner and hold it up throughout the day. Dress like you normally do. What are you? A self-portrait, obviously!

Halloween is the perfect time to let out all of that pent-up creativity. No matter what you choose to be this year, rock it out with confidence. You’ll be the coolest ghoul around.