Christmas break: There is more to do than you think

So you finished your last final. Now what?

This is the question being asked all across Eastern Michigan University’s campus, as students who just two weeks ago were completely and entirely swamped with work are befuddled by their newfound freedom. There are more than two weeks full of absolutely nothing just waiting for you to plan adventures, and oddly, all of this extra time can seem overwhelming.

If you’re at a loss as to how to stay busy during winter break, here are a few suggestions

Sleep: Hey, you asked for it. Now is the time to catch up.
Spend time with your family: They miss you, and believe it or not, you may start to miss them as well once you set foot in your house (your actual house, not your dorm) and smell the familiarity of your childhood and all the things you left behind. Spend a day grocery shopping with your dad, catch a movie with your mom or find something fun to do with your cousins.

Even if you’re not particularly close with your human family, try spending time with your family of the furry, four-legged variety.

Take your dog for a walk or curl up with your cat while reading a good book.

Catch up with old friends: Winter break is one of the only times when you and most of your old classmates will be in the same area again, since many of them are home visiting as well. Call up your best friend from high school and grab a coffee. You can relive old times, complain about college and laugh about how all the “mean” people never really did anything as cool as you guys after graduation.

Shop ‘til you drop: Now is the time when all the stores bring out their best deals. Even if you don’t have a lot of money, window shopping with friends can make for an entertaining afternoon, and you never know who or what you’ll run into.

Switch up your style: Over break is the best time to do something drastic with your looks, whether it’s dying your hair some crazy color, getting some funky haircut or finally getting that tattoo or piercing you’ve always wanted. That way, when you come back, the change is all the more shocking.

If you want to do something a little less “out there,” you can always get an eye-catching new coat or accessory. It’s a whole new year, so you might as well start it off as confidently as you can.

Remember why you were passionate about what you do: This one applies especially to anyone studying the arts or anything creative. Sometimes, the work involved in getting your college degree in what you love doing most can suck the fun right out of it. Remember to ignite that spark again during break.

Music majors, look at some old sheet music from high school band or work on an original composition. Art majors, dig out your old sketchbook and maybe add a few drawings to the mix. If your focus is on anything involving writing, like creative writing or journalism, take this time to write all the stories you’ve been putting off.

Even if you’re not studying the arts, you can find ways to reignite your passion for whatever you chose to specialize in. If you’re a biology major, for example, now is a good time to be lazy and lounge on the couch, and while you’re at it, you can bring your laptop and spend the evening reading about the subjects that actually fascinate you.

Enjoy the great outdoors: True, we may not be looking at a white Christmas, or even a white New Years Day, but don’t let the lack of snow deter you from having fun outside. Get plenty bundled up and walk to the park. Remember, the more you stay active, even in winter, the happier and healthier you’ll be.

Be open-minded to new experiences this break, and you may find yourself getting into all sorts of unforgettable adventures.