Nerdy Delectables: Chocolate Brownie Bacon Pie

There are some combinations that are scarily awesome together: the Internet and cats, peanut butter and chocolate, Bruce Campbell and chain saws…the list goes on. But one of my favorite flavor combos is that recently-beloved duo of bacon and chocolate. What could make that sensation of sweet and salty richness better? In a word: pie.

Nerd plate special: Chocolate Brownie Bacon Pie (Now would be an excellent time for a brass fanfare.)

Filling ingredients:

2 squares of unsweetened baking chocolate (or 5 tablespoons cocoa powder)

2 tablespoons butter

3 eggs

½ cup sugar

¾ cup syrup

6-8 strips of cooked bacon, chopped. Save the grease. If you didn’t already, bake your bacon in the oven—it’ll turn out perfect and crispy every time. Just lay your bacon out on a baking sheet covered in crinkled tin foil (the wrinkles catch and hold the grease) and set it in a 375 F oven for 15-20 minutes, depending on how crispy you like it.

Crust ingredients: (Sure, you could buy a pie crust, but it’ll probably taste like cardboard, crack if you even look at it and certainly won’t be infused with the loving taste of bacon.)

1 ¼ cups all purpose flour

2 tablespoons sugar

Reserved bacon drippings. To make this pie crust, you’ll need ½ cups of fat. If you don’t have enough bacon grease, top off your measurement with vegetable oil.

2-3 tablespoons cold milk

Start with your crust: Mix the flour and sugar in a medium-sized bowl, then create a little well in the middle (like you used to when you were little to make the mashed potatoes and gravy volcano). Pour in the wet ingredients and work it with your hands until it comes together into a greasy (but not sticky) ball.

Instead of rolling the crust, press it into a nine-inch pie pan or tin until you have an even layer. Press the rim with a fork if you feel like being fancy.

At this point, preheat your oven to 350 F. To make your filling, melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave (or if you opted for cocoa powder, mix it in once the butter is melted). Then add the sugar, eggs and corn syrup, mixing vigorously. Once smoothly combined, add the chopped bacon. Pour into your unbaked pie shell and bake for 35-40 minutes. The filling should be cooked, but not tough or brittle.

Best eaten warm without a shred of guilt for your arteries.