Katie's Craft Corner: Group gifts

The end of winter semester is finally here – time to study like crazy for finals, figure out your fall schedule and say goodbye to friends on campus. Whether or not you’re graduating this spring, group gifts are a great way to top off the school year. Below are three ideas for fast, fun and easy projects for you and your closest pals.

1. Team tees

Buy plain T-shirts, preferably ones that aren’t too stretchy, in a light color. Using special fabric, iron-on transfer paper, print photos and follow package directions to iron the images onto the shirts. Use fabric paint, rhinestones and embroidered patches to decorate (having each other sign the shirts in fabric marker is a cute way to show your friendship).

2. 2013 collage

Buy a large photo frame (16 inches by 18 inches will work). Cut a piece of poster board to a size that will fit in the frame – choose classic white or black, neon or even Eastern Michigan University green.

Get your friends together and find photos from the past year – sports team photos, goofy Halloween shots, anything you will want to remember from this past year. Black and white photos look great for this project, as it makes a unified look for an otherwise eclectic jumble of pictures.

Print the selected photos out no bigger than two inches by three-and-a-half inches (smaller if possible) and use photo-safe double stick tape to attach photos to poster board in the shape of the numbers “2013.” Add in ticket stubs from movies, games or concerts – anything reasonably small that you can glue to paper. Put the decorated poster board in a frame.

3. Braided scrap bracelets

At a craft store, buy a ¼-inch ribbon in each of your friends’ favorite colors (have everybody pick the one they like best). Try different colors and textures, like tulle, printed grosgrain, organza, raffia, strings of sequins or rick rack fabric. The more motley the selection, the better.

You’ll need 10 inches of each kind of trim for one bracelet. You’ll also need a spool of off-white sewing thread.

You’ll also need jewelry endcaps, jump rings and lobster claw clasps, which are easy to find at Michaels stores or other craft stores. For a tutorial on how to attach the endcaps, visit this website: rings-things.com/blog/tag/glue-on-cord-ends/#.UXQwqiLD_IU. Gel superglue will work fine for this project.

Cut all materials to 10 inches. Pick three to six of the trims for your bracelet: Six if they’re thin, three if they’re thick or a combination. Use a paperclip or a piece of tape to attach the trims to a hardcover book. Braid the trims tightly together, then use a length of the thread to wrap around the base of the braid and knot tightly. Attach endcaps and closure.

There are lots of options for great simple and easy end-of-semester mementos. Photos, a time capsule and wearable little items connect friends wherever they are during the summer. Be creative and personal.