MBR

Keep control of stress levels during finals

As we, the people of Eastern Michigan University, approach finals with minds poised for everlasting academic victory, stress becomes the dominant force in our lives. To an extent, this is a good thing. We sense the impending doom and work to prepare ourselves.

There are different kinds of stress, though. Acute or short-term stress, according to The Franklin Institute, can be good; it can boost the immune system, and short-term stress is a sign your body is functioning properly.

Norepinephrine, for example, a type of hormone similar to adrenaline, is not just required for fighting like a junkie hopped up on angel dust, but is also required to make new memories in the brain. This may be why people can name so many things that you’ve done wrong when they bite your head off.

The problem is that chronic stress can lead to high blood pressure, which can lead to cardiovascular disease and high blood sugar, which can lead to Type 2 diabetes.

This is because substances like norepinephrine, as well as cortisol and adrenaline, get released continuously when you have chronic stress. Your body is pushed to be ready for the worst all the time.

So in another hilarious and sick joke perpetrated by God and nature, stress is both sustaining and killing us at the same time.

Why? Human beings developed to react to physical threats like being chased by predators. Stressing over your performance at work and memorizing equations was not taken into account when we were evolving. In the modern world, your brain is acting as if your final is stalking you like a leopard, waiting to pounce on you at any moment.

Maybe you don’t care about stress as long as you do well on the test. The funny thing is, when you become chronically stressed, the substances in your brain can cause poor concentration, mood swings and other problems that do not mesh well with studying and learning.

But eventually it becomes necessary to reduce stress. If you’re comfortable with dropping out and happen to be a millionaire, I suggest living on the French Riviera.

For the rest of us, simple things work the best. Exercise is a great way to relieve stress. Your body wants you to do something physical; that is the purpose of all that adrenaline. Go out and use some of it.

Meditation is also great, and I don’t necessarily mean sitting cross legged and humming. You can literally just stare at a wall and empty your mind. You have no idea how many years of jail I’ve been spared by writing the word “R-E-L-A-X” on the wall with my mind.

It is important to understand and control your own stress levels. It is possible you could have a legitimate disorder such as post-traumatic stress disorder if your stress is out of control and you find any control impossible.

You have a right to relax and enjoy life without constantly being on edge. If all else fails, ask your professor to allow you to bash your tests with a club to show them who’s boss.