Woodruff’s Bar hosts Beatles Night

Woodruffs Bar of Depot Town held a Beatles Night on Saturday, June 1 attracting over a hundred people from the Beatles’ generation to the current one. Woodruff, with its exposed brick walls covered in art by Gary Horton, is the perfect place to listen to rock and roll on a Saturday night.

The snug stage is a bit far away from the tables, but leaves enough room for people to, conceivably at least, dance and a worn but immaculate pool table sits among the tables as well. The outdoor seating on Cross Street is nice and offers a more relaxed place to hang out with your friends if you want to take a break from the music.

Six bands played covers of The Beatles: The Charlie Dentel Band, The Ilk, Power Broker, The Hendersons, DSM and Exhaust Tones.

While DSM and the Ilk each did a respectable job, Power Broker was a tad unrefined. It was just one of those gigs where you felt that the band had the right idea; they just had to do a little more practice. Not to say they were bad per se, but they could’ve been better.

The Exhaust Tones had a similar problem. While they had clearly practiced properly, they were kind of forgettable; I doubt I’ll even remember them next week.

The two best bands that night were The Charlie Dentel Band and The Hendersons.

The Charlie Dentel Band played the Beatles with style and did especially well with “Revolution,” a particular favorite of mine. Obviously, a band covering another one has to love that band by definition but with The Charlie Dentel Band, you could tell that they really loved The Beatles. Their performance alone shined and has done John, George, Paul and Ringo justice.

The Hendersons weren’t nearly as good but then ended with a cover of “Help” which was simply brilliant. They did exactly what a cover is supposed to be: keeping the spirit and the lyrics of the song, while adding their own style in their interpretation. Who was better you ask? It’s a photo finish that’s too close to call.

Woodruff’s is a great bar where you can find great entertainment. The sounds of the timeless nostalgia of The Beatles music drifted through the streets of Depot Town late into the early morning.

“…speaking words of wisdom, let it be.”

Site: woodruffsbar.com .