Sushi restaurant serves costly-but-satisfying meals

Sushi is a cornerstone of lunchtime meals and a healthy part of Japanese cuisine. It gives college students an alternative to the mundane experience of college cafeteria food.

Recently, my travels brought me to a local sushi and Thai cuisine eatery called DKY Sushi and Thai, located at 1828 Whittaker Rd. in Ypsilanti. DKY specializes in authentic sushi and Thai dishes that are prepared with fresh ingredients and great tasting seafood.

As I walked in, the first thing I noticed was the décor. The lamps were customized to offer the real-deal dining experience of the Far East, and the restaurant was very clean – almost too clean.

I was promptly greeted and seated, and I felt right at ease. One thing I love about eating ethnic food is the staff courtesy and interaction. When I inquired about certain dishes on the menu, the waitress was concise and very helpful.

The sushi lunch special consisting of three rolls of your choice includes a bowl of miso soup and a green salad. The three rolls that I selected were the yellowtail salmon roll, Boston roll and one of my personal favorites, the California roll.

The miso soup was simply immaculate – just the right amount of tofu cubes, not too salty and not served too hot. The confluence of potato and carrots made the dashi stock flavorful enough to satisfy even the most discerning of palettes.

The salad was served with crisp greens and a sweet ginger dressing. I probably would have requested another bowl if I wasn’t trying to watch my weight already. The presentation was spectacular, and even the look of the bowls and plates kept me interested.

Then came the entrée of sushi rolls – plated and placed just right on the dish – that were easy on the eye. Hand made by one of their expertly trained sushi chefs, DKY’s sushi is worth every penny. It looked so good that I started rehearsing every chew in my mind after it was placed on the table.

Of course, I needed something to wash it all down.

DKY offers Pepsi products, which are served in those vintage Pepsi glasses that make my heart skip a beat when I put my lips to them. Sometimes it’s the little things in life.

My only real knock on this place was the portion to cost ratio. The food was just a teensy bit pricey at $12 a plate. This could be the contributing factor in the small customer base as I was the only patron in the restaurant. Coincidence? I think not.

With so many great sushi bars in the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti area, it’s hard to divine where DKY will end up at the end of the race.

Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar and Dabu Sushi have been dominating the area for some time now, and it doesn’t seem likely that their spots will be taken anytime soon. Nevertheless, if you’re looking for a quiet and tasteful dining experience eating some delectable Japanese dishes, then I recommend DKY Sushi and Thai.