Five good apps for smart phones

Just about every college student has a cell phone these days but there’s always a problem when it comes to choosing which apps to put on it when you only have so many gigabytes to work with. Here are five recommended apps for every phone.

1. Facebook

If you have a Facebook account, chances are you use it most often on your computer. However if you don’t have a computer on you, but want to check up on your friends, the mobile version of the ever-popular website is just the thing.

It can do just about everything the browser version can do, from posting status updates to photos of the party in your dorm. There is also an accompanying optional app called Facebook Messenger, which allows you to chat with your friends the same way you would on the browser version.

2. Tumblr

If Facebook proves to be too distracting, Tumblr may be what you need. Similar to Facebook, Tumblr can be used to post photos and text. But what makes it different is the format.

Tumblr is a blogging site that so many people use as an outlet. Its almost like a diary to write about things going on in their life while allowing other users to read, “like” and “reblog” the posts that they admire most. Tumblr doesn’t have the chat option that Facebook has, so it is good for when you don’t want to talk to your friends but still want to see what is going on with them.

3. Candy Crush: Soda Saga

This game is the sequel of sorts to the addicting Candy Crush and plays exactly the same way. Match three candies in a row to earn points and beat the seemingly never-ending amount of levels. There are new power-ups to try, new types of challenges and plenty of replay ability.

4. Flixster

Need to know what time the movies are playing and how good or bad the reviews are? Flixster is the best app for that.

It combines the ratings system found on Rotten Tomatoes with an easy to use interface for looking up movie show times. It even has the phone numbers for theaters in your area and also allows you to buy tickets right in the app. No more standing in line waiting! It also constantly updates as movies are released and show times change.

5. EMU Mobile App

Did you know that EMU has its own mobile app? This is a great tool for students as it provides easy access to everything EMU. You can look up your emails, check the campus news, find events, and more! It even includes a checklist for new students to follow with each step of the application/admission process.

All of these apps can be found in the App Store on iPhone and the Google Play store for Android phones.