Eastern Michigan center Lekan Ajayi smiles at the bench after drawing a charge in their 66-46 loss to Michigan State in East Lansing Wednesday night.

EMU Basketball prepares for MAC play

The Eastern Michigan men’s basketball team finished off the non-conference schedule with a stellar 11-2 start – the best in school history. However, heading into January, the team enters conference play with the start of MAC season, hosting the Cardinals of Ball State.

EMU has appeared to create a bit of a home-court advantage, recording a 9-0 record at the Convocation Center this season, including a 100-42 victory over Concordia University, Dec. 28. The Eagles have won five of their last six games against the Cardinals, including a 72-58 win last March at the Convo.

EMU improved the season field goal percentage after shooting 55 percent in the blowout victory over Concordia, and will need to continue to improve in that department to have success against their MAC opponents.

The Eagles will also need to utilize their strength on the defensive side of the ball. Ball State (5-6) averages just over 67 points per game and has only eclipsed 70 points in a game in 5 of its 11 games this season. On the flip side, EMU has given up 70 points only twice this season.

EMU has a new season starting Wednesday and a good start will help in the Eagles’ goal of winning the MAC title. The game will tip off at 7 p.m. at the Convocation Center Wednesday.

Around the MAC

Buffalo at Miami of Ohio

Speaking of good starts to the season, the University of Buffalo enters conference play with a 9-3 record and will travel to Miami of Ohio to face the struggling Redhawks. Miami (5-8) has lost seven of its last 10 games while Buffalo has won eight of its last 10. The game will tip off at 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Rest of the MAC

Wednesday Matchups:

Bowling Green at Kent State 7 p.m.

Northern Illinois at Ohio 7 p.m.

Finals from Tuesday:

Western Michigan 52, Akron 72.

Central Michigan 65, Toledo 62.