The college years

College is a great learning experience. It is the bridge that a person crosses from youth to adulthood. Every class you take is moving you one step towards the other end of the bridge; some steps are easy to take, but occasionally, there might be a puddle you have to jump over or some roadkill you have to step around.

The most interesting thing about crossing the bridge to adulthood while attending college is that you get to meet people who teach you lessons along the way. Some will be in your life for a season and some will continue to teach you and grow with you for life. Some of those people won’t be your friends, but instead some delightful person who you had a conversation with that touches you and makes you think about the things that you tend to ignore from day to day. Some are just fun little adventures that get you through hard times.

Every college kid meets the gym rat. They are always at the gym and making sure that you are there too at 7 in the morning, making sure you suffer with them. They keep you in shape and are a fun workout partner. The downside of befriending the gym rat is the rising cost of Febreze. If they hang out at your home too long after a workout, you may get a case of “Stink Couch” and nobody wants to sit on that.

Just because the herbal is legal in Colorado doesn’t mean it’s legal in my house. Cheech and Chong stunt doubles are people love their herbs like Emeril loves his “essence.” They are the ones who say, “Keep it on the down low,” and then Instagram a pic of themselves ripping a bong with the hashtag #SooooMuchDope. These friends are good listeners who always laugh at your jokes, but you can be pretty sure they ate all of your Chex Mix.

If you haven’t met the “I left my _____ at home” guy/gal you haven’t been in school long enough. For some reason, they always forget their purse, wallet, cigs, beer, half your plate of fries in the middle of your dinner or laptop at home. These friends are charming people. They will talk you up when you’re down right before they need something.

If you don’t have a friend who doesn’t have everything, there’s no doubt that you’ll have a friend who has. Mr./Ms.Giggity are friends who have only one thing on the mind, and its rating is a “Hard R.” These are the Quagmire’s and Samantha’s of the world. They enjoy telling you about the rendezvous they had with the sexy exchange student or the all nighter with the blonde barista.

You’ll meet many friends in college. Enjoy the friends you meet these years for they will be ones who tell stories about to your grandchildren.