EMU's Wendy Beattie honored as an 'innovative leader' by Healio O & P News

Eastern Michigan University's Wendy Beattie has been honored as an “innovative leader” in the orthotics and prosthetics program in an article by Healio O & P News, a publication focused on her industry.

Eastern's O & P graduate program has about 20 students, and is the only such program in Michigan, according to oandp.com. The two-year program teaches students how to make orthotics and prosthetics for patients who have severe injuries. It includes 59 mandatory credits and a yearlong residency in orthotics and one in prosthetics.

According to a press release from EMU’s university communications, “Candidates were judged on their pursuit of knowledge [and] their achievement of greater competency in their fields.”

In a profile from oandp.com published in 2014, Eastern's O & P program was described as an “innovative educational resource.” The small class size allows her students to learn and contribute as a group.

“What's really fun is to watch how students help each other,” O & P quoted Beattie saying.

Beattie’s achievements in her 25-year career include being residency-director and clinical education coordinator at Becker Orthopedic. She graduated from Yale in 1986 with a degree in mechanical engineering. In 1988 she received her certificate in prosthesis from UCLA and orthotics from Northwestern, according to the press release.