A brief Q and A with James Smith

Eastern Michigan University's 23rd president, James Smith, was elected Friday, February 12, in a special session of the Board of Regents. Immediately after, president-elect Smith held a press meeting with The Eastern Echo, Detroit News, Free Press, Ann Arbor News and Michigan Radio. Below is a brief sample of some of the questions asked during it and Smith's answers to them.

Q. What is the first big issue that you would like to tackle?

A. I don't know that I have an issue. The first things that any president wants to do is to learn the players, to learn the people, to learn more about the institution. I don't see a single issue out there. Certainly there will be certain issues that will pop up between now and July 1. But the game plan for me is to learn people, learn programs, learn the key players, and try to assess the situation as it is and how to move it forward to that next place.

Q. There has been controversy over the last several years over the [university's] involvement in the EAA, in Detroit. Your take? What should Eastern's role in education be?

A. Let me answer both those questions. Regent Fitzimmons asked a lot of a questions when I interviewed and I asked the Regents that question about the work that was being done in Detroit. And I have to say to a region, I think the phraseology would be: We wanted to do the very best we could for the children that needed it the most. That doesn't mean that Regent Stapleton's statement to the press a week ago wasn't correct also. Sometimes you do things and they don't work and then you have to be bright enough to exit. I think that's what we've seen in this process.

Q. There has been criticism of the selection process. People were saying it was too secretive and not open enough. Did you agree with the process and do you worry about what people might think of how you were selected?

A. Closed searches are not popular on campuses. I think we know why. ...I can say this as a candidate: we don't get to choose whether they're open or closed searches. We get to choose whether we think the institution is a place that is a good fit with who we are.