International Student Association celebrates Valentine's Day

The International Student Association filled Student Center room 310 with red and pink balloons, Saturday, Feb. 13 for its Valentine’s night. The association has about 800 members from 86 nationalities, according to ISA president Muneez Patel.

“Tonight is the night to celebrate diversity on campus,” Patel said. “Our goal is to create a multicultural space on campus by filing out the gaps between international and domestic communities at Eastern Michigan University.”

Around 60 students showed up to the dinner, from countries all across the world. The buffet style dinner was a chance for overseas students and American students to hang out and communicate on a face-to-face basis. Throughout the dinner, Patel and other representatives from student organizations periodically interrupted for dance challenges and speeches.

Beka Buzrukov, a member of the Honor’s College, came to encourage international students to join the Honor’s College.

“For international students specifically, we can offer scholarships, which can be really beneficial in helping international students to get connected to faculty and do research during their undergraduate years,” Buzrukov said.

Tanabe Hiroki also announced his upcoming play, based on culture shock. He passed around the flyers to ask international students about the culture shock experience they went through when they came to the United States. An audition for his place will take place next Wednesday, Feb 17, at 101 Snow Medical Center from 11:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The African Student Association was also there, including association president Stephen Elugbemi. He invited students to the dance floor to teach them some simple dance routines and half of the students there got up to dance with him.

“We try to combat racism by promoting Africa, having events and displaying our culture throughout campus,” Elugbemi said. “There's a lot of racism about the cultures of Africa.”

Roopktha Pallye, of the Indian Student Association, stepped onto the dance floor after to lead students through traditional Indian routines.

Some of the International Student Association’s next events include Colors in Harmony, an international talent and fashion show, March 12 at 6 p.m.