(1)EMU students occupy Student Center

EMU dismisses sanctions issued following student sit-in

This morning, Eastern Michigan University dismissed the sanctions issued against all students involved in the overnight sit-in in response to the racist vandalism on campus last semester, Feb 2.

The initial racist graffiti was found at King Hall on Sept. 20. Two additional incidents occurred inside Hoyt and Wise Residence Halls. The most recent graffiti was found on the exterior wall of Ford Hall on Oct. 30.

EMU Media Relations issued a prepared statement from President James Smith today.

"I have stated on several occasions that it was not the proper role of any administrator to intervene in an ongoing conduct process," said Smith. "Now that the judicial process is complete, it is time for the campus community to move forward. The unique and compelling circumstances associated with this situation warrant this action."

The university continues to uphold community standards detailed in the EMU Student Code of Conduct.

EMU Media Relations also issued a prepared statement from several student leaders, including Tanasia Morton, student government president, Darius Anthony, EMU NAACP president and Jaren Johnson, EMU Black Student Union president.

"We understand that the conduct process needed to be completed, and we applaud President Smith’s decision to drop the charges so that we as a student body can continue to move forward in our fight to end institutionalized racism," said the student leaders in the statement. "We look forward to uniting and working closely with him and other administrators and student leaders in a constructive manner on the many initiatives underway to enhance Eastern's inclusiveness."

EMU has appointed a Presidential Commission on Diversity and Inclusion that includes scholars, students and administrators. According to President Smith, EMU is making significant progress on the Black Student 10-Point Plan.

"We vow to continue to investigate and hopefully arrest the person or persons involved in the racist vandalism that took place on our campus early this fall. This remains a top priority," said Smith in the statement.