'Logan' should get a best picture nomination

Logan could be the first comic-book movie to get a best picture nomination. It is so good as a movie that you might just forget it’s a comic book.

Logan is the third movie in the Wolverine stand-alone movies, which are part of the X-Men saga. This film follows a past-his-prime Logan embarking on a road trip across a dystopian future America for one final mission, all the while trying to care for an ageing Charles Xavier and a new mutant that displays similar powers to himself.

This movie stands out from the other X-Men movies as it is an R-rated film. It is filled with brutal violence set to a much darker story than the previous X-Men films. In the first few minutes of the movie Logan violently kills a few men, which sets the tone for the rest of the movie.

Movie producer Simon Kinberg said in an interview with Collider.com “It is an R-rated movie. It’s violent, it’s kind of like a western in its tone. It’s just a very cool, different film.”

Logan will be the final appearance of its star Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, a character he has played for the last 17 years. Along with Jackman this will also be co-star Patrick Stewart’s last time as Charles Xavier, a character he has played just as long.

During an appearance on The Dr. Oz Show Jackman clarified by stating bluntly that the film would be his final portrayal as the character.

Jackman said “This will be my last one, it is my last time. It just felt like it was the right time to do it, and let's be honest, 17 years. I never thought in a million years it would last, so I'm so grateful to the fans for the opportunity of playing it. I kind of have in my head what we're going to do in this last one. It just feels like this is the perfect way to go out.”

Hugh Jackman makes the most of his final outing as Wolverine with a gritty, nuanced performance in a violent but surprisingly thoughtful superhero action film that defies genre conventions. It is an emotional, heavy picture, but it’s also an uplifting one that reminds us that it’s okay to fight for something more, something better.

Logan also stars Boyd Holbrook, Stephen Merchant, and Dafne Keen.

Logan received a record-breaking release across 4,071 theaters, the widest for an R-rated film and also the widest R-rated IMAX release, across 381 IMAX theaters. As of March 5, Box Office Mojo.com has reported Logan has grossed $85.3 million in the United States and Canada and $152.5 million in other territories for a worldwide gross of $237.8 million.