Book review: Rebel, Women Who Dare, inspires and educates

Beverly Jenkins talks about her new book and its message.

When it comes to reading a different type of novel, finding the perfect one will guide us through our reading journey. Beverly Jenkins is one out of millions of authors who have gained their audiences' attention by creating a unique aura around their characters.

Beverly Jenkins’ writing talent helped change how African-Americans are viewed throughout the romance community itself. Jenkins has written over 30 novels and released a new book, Rebel (Women Who Dare), on May 28 of this year.

Jenkins’ career in the Historical Romance novel community began in the early 1990s with her first novel, Night Song” (1994). Her first novel left the romance community wanting more and it got just that. Jenkins followed with more popular novels like “Vivid” (Grayson series), “Indigo,” “Topaz” and Through the Storm (book one of the Le Veq series and Jenkins’ most popular book).

Jenkins is a Detroit native who attended Michigan State University in 1969 and worked at Michigan State University in the library’s circulation department. During her lunch breaks, she read from the “The Journal of African American History and moved to Ypsilanti years later. She began putting her creative talents to work and explored writing romantic novels. As time progressed, she was able to connect with a publisher and established her book journey.

Now it’s 2019 and Jenkins’ fans are in for a surprise with the newest book of the Le Veq series, “Rebel (Women Who Dare).” This book debuts a new storyline of the Jenkins new edition collection that focuses on main character Valinda Lacey and her family living in New Orleans. In this novel, Lacey begins to develop a love interest in Captain Drake Le Veq, one of the characters from Jenkins’ previous novels “Capture” and “Through the Storm.”

Jenkins’ inspiration for a new novel comes from American history.

“How resilient we [African-Americans] are, the part that we played in reconstruction (during 1865-1876) and the strides we made.” Jenkins said in regard to African-Americans’ part in American history. “So, I want them [the readers] to be able to see the history and know that after slavery, we kept going -- our [African-Americans’] history didn’t end there.”

American History has always been important in Jenkins’ novels.

“Entertainment and Education ... it’s a great way to teach African-Americans an American history,” Jenkins said.

Jenkins is interested in what her fans and other readers have to say about her new book by interacting with her fans on social media and meeting new people through promoting her book.

For more information about Jenkins and her novels, visit her website or follow her Twitter @authorMsBev.