Winter Fest draws students interested in joining student organizations

Student organizations gathered in the Student Center to seek out new members

On Tuesday, Jan. 7, EMU Campus Life held its annual Winter Fest Student Organization Fair. Student organizations gathered in the Student Center Ballroom. 

Students stood behind tables decorated by their various student organizations as some flooded attendees with promotional flyers. Students could enjoy hot chocolate, music and get their caricature drawn by an artist. Campus Life also sat at a table encouraging attendees to enter a raffle for various prizes including a Bluetooth speaker and Campus Life merchandise.

Karin Hartmaier, a student in her second semester at EMU and a member of Tri Sigma, helped her sorority decorate a table and encourage students to join Greek Life. She encourages students of all grades to get involved.

“Typically younger students are interested in Greek Life but it’s literally for everyone and even juniors and seniors have joined this year. In my sorority, Tri Sigma, we actually had one senior and three juniors come in as new members,” she explained.

“It’s a new semester, new year, new classes, new everything. I think it’s important to put yourself out there,” added Hartmaier. “Explore your options because Eastern has a lot out there.”

The Collegiate Entrepreneurs of America (CEA), a student organization that is dedicated to supporting college students interested in expanding their entrepreneurial skills, experience and knowledge, set a table at Winter Fest. Due to an abundance of soon-to-be graduated students, the organization will soon be left with only three members. Member, Cameron Gold, explained they came to Winter Fest hoping to expand to 15 or more members to qualify as an official chapter to compete across the country. 

If [students] are wary about joining our club I would say it is a new club so there is a lot of room for growing really as a person with this club overall. We’re very relaxed,” said Gold. “We just hope that everyone feels welcome.”

EMU has over 90 student organizations. Even if you missed Winter Fest, you can still join any number of organizations by contacting them directly.