A 21-year-old man, who was not an Eastern Michigan University student, was killed in a shooting early Thursday morning near EMU's campus, police said.
EMU and Ypsilanti Police responded to the shooting around 1 a.m., Sept. 23 in the area of Ann St. and N. Huron River Drive, according to the EMU Police Department.
A black Dodge Durango was seen driving away from the scene before stopping in front of the University's Physical Plant main entrance, according to the EMU Police Department. The officers arriving discovered the man in the vehicle had sustained injuries from the shooting, and had him transported to a local hospital by EMS.
The man was later pronounced dead from his injuries and the Ypsilanti Police Department are now investigating the shooting as a homicide, according to the EMU Police Department.
The Eastern Michigan University Department of Public Safety recommend the University community to:
- Be aware of your surroundings and look assertive.
- Walk with friends or coworkers when possible.
- Seminars in safety awareness and self-defense are offered by the Crime Prevention Division of the department.
- Trust your intuition. If a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, remove yourself from the situation. Don't be afraid to follow your instincts
- Program the number for EMU Police, 734-487-1222, into your cell phone.
- Check the EMU Public Safety website for additional safety tips at www.emich.edu.
Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the Ypsilanti Police Department at 734-483-9510 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800 SPEAK UP.