The Eastern Echo Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 | Print Archive

Ypsilanti Police Sign

Police search for possible armed men on Eastern Michigan University's campus

Eastern Michigan and Ypsilanti Police are in search of two unidentified men, one possibly carrying a long gun.

Eastern Michigan University and Ypsilanti Police are investigating unconfirmed reports regarding two individuals on EMU's campus, one reported to possibly be holding a long gun.

EMU Police are currently patrolling campus and have reviewed surveillance video cameras, and are unable to identify persons matching that description, according to the EMU Police Department. Ypsilanti Police are also investigating similar reports of the same two individuals walking in areas off campus. 

The two suspected individuals have been described by witnesses as Black males, one wearing a black sweatshirt and khaki pants the other wearing a red hoodie, according to the EMU Police Department. EMU Police are continuing to check the area and are unable to locate anyone matching this description. 

The story will be updated as more information is released.

If anyone sees these individuals or observe suspicious activity, they are asked to call 9-1-1 or EMU Police at 734-487-1222.

The Eastern Michigan University Department of Public Safety would like to remind the University community to:

·         Be aware of your surroundings and look assertive.

·         Walk with friends or coworkers when possible. 

·         Seminars in safety awareness and self-defense are offered by the Crime Prevention Division of the department.

·         Trust your intuition. If a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, remove yourself from the situation. Don't be afraid to follow your instincts.

·         Program the number for EMU Police (734-487-1222) into your cell phone.

·         EMU Police Department Tip Line: 734 487- 4847

·        Check the EMU Public Safety website for additional safety tips: www.emich.edu