michael-marais-JLHyIwix46c-unsplash.jpg

Review: Book of Boba Fett Episode 2

The Book of Boba Fett continues it's strong start in episode 2.

Boba Fett is back for round two out of seven, and this time he is the one who gets to throw some punches, and some people.

Before we go to the past though, we must deal with the problems of the present, as Fennec Shand has captured some valuable captives. The Boba bunch try to get some information from the wannabe hitman, but they refuse. It is entertaining to see the droid talk him up as this unfeeling killing machine, while Fennec calls him overpriced. 

Either way he is dropped into the rancor pit. I watched this episode with a friend, and we both knew that the rancor was gone. It was funny when the goon admitted who hired him before the door opened to reveal that me and my friend were right.

They then go to confront the mayor, the one the goon ratted out. There we meet my second favorite new character from this season, the Majordomo, who is delightful to watch. They try their best to be punctual and professional to the best of their ability no matter the situation and I find it very entertaining. Sadly, the goon does not last long, as he is almost immediately blasted when he is turned in. The mayor then leaves Boba with the ominous words. “Before you threaten me, you should ask yourself, who really sent the Night Wind?”

Once Boba goes outside, he is met with a couple of the big bad slug crime lords, followed by the thundering drums and a nonexistent ethics committee. It seems everyone on the planet is against him running a crime family, and honestly I’m here for it. I love the escalating conflict in this episode, even if some of them are randomly solved in an episode or two.

Now we should probably mention the wookie in the room, the inclusion of Black Krrsantan is really cool, and paves the way for the cameos and character inclusion we will see the rest of the season. (One more step towards starkiller, make it happen Disney).

Boba Fett returns to the blue goo tube and begins to take his long rest for the day. In his dreams, we are able to see him return to the dune sea with the sand people. This segment continues to be important as we inch closer to the present. Fett is trained by Korn with the clubs that I just found out were called “gaderffii sticks.”  

This part is dedicated to the bounty hunter earning his own stick. This includes him only using a simple sparring stick and a rifle to destroy an entire alien biker gang to steal their speeder bikes. He then teaches the tuskens how to ride said bikes so they can fight back against a train that fires at them whenever they screech through their territory.

At the end of the episode, Boba Fett gets the stick he used to destroy stormtroopers in the Mandelorian.

This episode, though dedicated mostly to set up, was very fun to watch for me. It also has a really cool action scene to keep the goblin in my brain happy while I take in the history of Tatooine and it’s indigenous people.