waranya-mooldee-Efj0HGPdPKs-unsplash.jpg

Opinion: Animal testing is harmful

From burns, wounds and toxins, animals have been subjected to horrible experiments for decades. This suffering needs to end.

For decades, animal testing has been helping create medicine and helping students learn. The operations typically result in a large amount of pain. Most animals are sacrificed after an experiment; however, they may be used again. Innocent animals are required to breathe in harmful substances, and they have holes drilled into their skulls. Animals are not allowed to have food or water, and scientists inflict pain on animals including burns, wounds and other injuries. According to Lone Star College, the Draize test and the LD50 test, two of the most often used toxicity tests, are known for the severe agony and suffering they cause to experimental animals.

According to Humane Society International, “It is estimated that more than 115 million animals worldwide are used in laboratory experiments every year.” 

Animal experimentation is not accurate and is wasting innocent animals' lives. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, researchers discovered that animal testing is rarely converted to humans. Humans can result in suffering by creating effective and safe data that are inaccurate and by posing the risk of patients forgoing necessary medical treatments. The most critical human toxicity warning signs are commonly missed in animal testing. 

The American Medical Association stated, “Patients and physicians should remain cautious about extrapolating the finding of prominent animal research to the care of human disease … poor replication of even high-quality animal studies should be expected by those who conduct clinical research.”

Some laws protect animals, but in some cases, it does not work. The Animal Welfare Act was created to protect specific animals like dogs and monkeys, which is not fair to the other animals. Even in those cases, these animals are still harmed because certain experiments can be approved by an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. Animals experience the same pain as humans as their responses to pain are quite similar. 

According to Animal Legal and Historic Center, "A number of these commercial products are tested on animals. Commercial products are tested on animals to ensure product safety for consumers. For example, mascaras, shampoos, and perfumes are usually tested on the eyes of rabbits and oftentimes the eyelids of animals are forcefully held open for better absorption.”

Regardless of how different people may think about animals, research centers and cosmetics manufacturers exploit animals both domestically and abroad. Animal testing continues to exist within research. The world is helping these animals when it comes to specifically cruelty-free brands, especially makeup brands such as BareMinerals, e.l.f. Cosmetics, Rare Beauty and more. Cruelty-free should become more common in brands, and animal testing should be banned completely from making medicine and experiments.