Interview w/ Alex Ware - The Eastern Echo Podcast Ep. 2

EMU senior Alex Ware talks about his Autism Acceptance YouTube channel.

Matt McFarlin: Hi, I’m Matt McFarlin.

Sarai Yanes: Hi, I’m Sarai Yanes, we are your hosts! 

Welcome to the Eastern Echo Podcast. 

Look out for us on campus and on social media @easternecho_podcast at Instagram and @EchoPodcasts on Twitter.

Here’s Matt with the news!

Matt McFarlin: In news this week, Eastern Michigan University hosts its 12th annual Digital Marketing Workshop with theme 'hybrid marketing', Latinx Student Association at EMU showcases culture through music and food, and Materials unlimited in Ypsilanti closes after 50 years.

On Nov. 18, EMU is hosting its 12th annual Digital Marketing Workshop from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Student Center. This event is open to the community and any EMU student.

The workshop will include breakfast, lunch, two panels of experienced marketing professionals and a chance to network with other people. Anyone interested can register on Eventbrite for a special student rate of  $7.50.

Next up in our series on cultural organizations on campus is Latinx Student Association or LSA at EMU. 

EMU’s LSA showcases culture through music and food. LSA’s members want EMU students to know that the organization is not just for Latino and Hispanic students, but is open for any students who are interested in learning more about different culture. 

On Oct.27, LSA is hosting a Dia Los Muertos event in Big Bob’s Lake House from 7-9 p.m. in collaboration with Campus Life and the Multicultural Greek Council.

Dia De los Muertos is a celebration of life and death, which LSA will be celebrating with other students by learning the history of the holiday through games, music, food, activities and more.  

In other news, Ypsilanti staple Materials Unlimited is closing after 50 years. The store, which originated on Main Street in Ann Arbor, is having a closing sale for 25% off of everything. 

Materials Unlimited sells antiques of all kind, including lamps, furniture, doors, craft supplies and more. 

After a lifetime of loving and selling antiques, owner Renold Lowe is now planning to retire and continue his passion of making art. 

This segment was reported by Anyara Zapata, Layla McMurtrie and Krista Kangas, scripted by Mariah Taylor, and produced by Jordan Boyd. 

To read the full length news articles this week, visit www.easternecho.com or pick up a copy of our print newspaper on campus. 

Sarai Yanes: Are you an EMU student looking for events to attend? Tune in each week to hear about the best events going on on and off campus in the coming week. 

In events this week, on Oct. 20, EMU’s AMP is hosting Java Jam from 4-6 p.m. outside of Starbucks in the student center. From spoken-word poetry to singing, the live performance events gives student artists a chance to showcase their voice.

On October 22nd, La’de & PBS is holding the 4th annual Bra-a-thon at 6:30 p.m. in Student Center room 300. 

Also, EMU Theater presents The Crucible on October 21st and 22nd at 7 p.m. at Legacy Theater. There will also be a sensory friendly performance on October 23rd at 2 p.m. 

Next up, here are hosts Destiny Jenkins-Jones and Jay Manea speaking with EMU student Alex Ware about his Autism Acceptance Program. 

(Interview)

Sarai Yanes: The winner of last weeks trivia is Cromwell Bost and the correct answer was 13. 

This week’s Eastern Echo Podcast trivia question is:

How many residence halls have there been in EMU’s history?  

DM us on our Instagram @easternecho_podcast for a chance to win a prize. 

Matt McFarlin:  

Thank you for tuning in! 

I’m Matt!

Sarai Yanes: And I’m Sarai! 

We are your hosts and this was the Eastern Echo Podcast.