charisse-kenion-5sAH-YzM0RY-unsplash.jpg

Opinion: Potential surprise guests for Rihanna's Super Bowl LVII performance

Hosting some of the biggest names in music the halftime show has drawn millions of viewers each year. In the most Rihanna way possible she announced to be the star of the show via her Instagram.

Since the 1992 Super Bowl halftime show hosted by In Living Color, the halftime show has been an essential part of American culture. Some notable names to have performed include Beyoncé, Michael Jackson, Prince, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars and more.

After turning down the 2022 show due to the Kaepernick controversy, many were surprised to see Rihanna's name announced as the main act of the 2023 Super Bowl half-time show.

Nonetheless, with this announcement, fans are speculating who could be a potential surprise guest for the show.

A$AP Rocky

An obvious choice, but the couple has already been seen in the studio together this year. While no current tracks together, Rihanna has been present in two of Rocky’s music videos; “D.M.B.” and “Fashion Killa.” Also, with a rumored album to be released this year, the on-stage collaboration would make for an extravagant album rollout.

Drake

At least to public knowledge and rumors, this Toronto born rapper's relationship with Rihanna may be sour, but no one truly knows what is happening outside of the public eye. Both stars are some of the most iconic artists of the generation, dominating the billboards. With hit collaborations like “Take Care,” “What's My Name?” “Work” and more, this would make for a spectacular 12 minutes.

Kanye West

Though he was technically in hiding for a second, Kanye West has been making more and more public appearances as of late. Despite how people feel about Kanye West, the man has been an integral part of music and culture. With songs like “All of the Lights,” “Run This Town,” and “FourFiveSeconds” the pair is more than familiar with each other.

Jay-Z & Beyoncé

This final option may be a bit ridiculous, but it would possibly beat every past performance. Jay Z and Rihanna have a well-known relationship with one of their most popular songs of the 2000s, “Umbrella.”

While Beyoncé and Rihanna have not officially collaborated on a track together, Beyoncé has just released her album Renaissance. A solo performance is most likely more probable than this option, but if this was a reality, it would make the internet explode nonetheless.

Nobody

With only 12 minutes slated, it wouldn't be a surprise if no one came to support Rihanna. Having a catalog of hit songs, it wouldn't take much to impress the millions of viewers and fans as they have been starving for non-cosmetic content since last project "ANTI" dropped in 2016.

Though Super Bowl performers bringing along supporting acts has been a constant occurence in recent years, Rihanna has always been one to stray away from trends.

Having to follow up on a legendary halftime show last year of Eminem, 50 Cent, Mary J Blige, and Kendrick Lamar would be hard for anyone. However, there is almost no better choice than the pop star herself. Hopefully, an album announcement from Rihanna will follow.