Eastern Michigan Vs. Florida A&M Womens Basketball

EMU women's basketball late rally falls short to North Dakota 79-73

EMU's five game winning streak comes to an end

Eastern Michigan University women’s basketball team five-game winning streak ends against the University of North Dakota on Sunday, Dec. 4, inside the George Gervin GameAbove Center. The Eagles held the lead heading into the fourth quarter but ultimately lost, 79-73. 

To start the game, EMU went on a 5-0 run with 3:53 left in the first period to take a 13-11 lead. After trading baskets, the Eagles entered the second quarter down 19-17. 

EMU cut UND’s lead to 27-26 before going on a 6-0 run. Smith shot a three taking a 32-27 lead. The Eagles went into halftime with a 43-39 lead over UND.

Entering the second half, North Dakota took a 57-55 lead before Eastern Michigan went on another 5-0 run, highlighted by another basket from Smith, to take a 60-57 lead with 1:01 left in the third quarter.

The Fighting Hawks cut into the lead somewhat before the end of the third quarter, but the Eagles still entered the final round with a 60-59 edge. 

North Dakota took advantage of EMU’s lead during the fourth quarter for the 79-73 victory. 

EMU made eight threes on 33 attempts. EMU forced 18 North Dakota turnovers while committing 17 in Sunday’s game. 

The Eagles had four players score double figures in the game led by Natalia Pineda, who had 19 points and three blocks. Sophomore ZaNiya Nelson added 16 points, nine rebounds, four assists, and three steals. 

Freshman Olivia Smith chipped in with 15 points and three steals while Sophomore LaChelle Austin put up 11 points, three rebounds, and four assists. 

The Eagles will continue their home game stretch on Saturday, Dec. 10 against the University of Southern Indiana inside the George Gervin GameAbove Center. 

For more information on the Eastern Michigan women's basketball team, you can visit EMUEagles.com, Or you can check out "TheBlockE Podcast" weekly for updates and analysis on all Eastern Michigan University Athletics here.