The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

rec_renovations_2021_resized.jpg

EMU's REC/IM now offering free personal training and group fitness classes

Following renovations, the REC/IM on campus welcomes students with a variety of new classes to join.

Eastern Michigan University has been renovating the REC/IM throughout the past few years and many students are rushing to work out in the fresh space with all of the new equipment.

While many previously offered fitness classes were stopped due to the pandemic, the newly-renovated building is now introducing a virtual wellness app, personal training and new group fitness programs.

WELLBEATS

With a Rec/IM membership, students can now access a virtual wellness app called "Wellbeats" free of charge, courtesy of the Division of Student Affairs.

Wellbeats offers a holistic approach to healthy living, with hundreds of 24/7 fitness classes with dozens of diverse instructors and at-home tips to maintain wellness.

Students can find instructions on how to access Wellbeats on the REC/IM website's Health & Fitness tab.

PERSONAL TRAINING

Additionally, the Rec/IM is offering virtual and in-person personal training sessions to help get students moving.

To request a consultation with a NCCA-certified personal trainer, students can visit the recreational center’s personal training page and fill out a fitness assessment form. The form allows students to choose trainer preferences and answer questions about their fitness goals to find the perfect fit for them.

GROUP FITNESS

Starting back up this semester, the REC/IM is offering a variety of group fitness programs that students can participate in. The programs are offered multiple times during the week from Monday through Thursday. Students must register in advance to reserve a spot in one of the classes.

On Mondays and Wednesdays, indoor cycling will be offered from 4-4:45 p.m. and kickboxing will be offered from 5-6 p.m.

Butts and guts, a class for strengthening glutes and core muscles, will be held just once a week on Wednesdays from 6:30-7:15 p.m.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, yoga is offered from 11:15 a.m.-12 p.m., TRX bootcamp from 4-4:45 p.m., Wellbeats Barre from 5-5:30 p.m. and resistance training from 6:30-7:15 p.m.

Students can learn more information about the benefits of each class through the detailed guide of class descriptions on the REC/IM’s website.