The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

Eastern Michigan Track at UofM Invitational feb 17th

EMU track and field's men win four events; women place eight top-three finishes at Silverston Invitational

10 Eagles post personal bests.

The Eastern Michigan University men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams traveled to Ann Arbor on Feb. 17 to compete against the University of Michigan in the Silverston Invitational. 

The men’s team posted four individual champions, four second-place finishes and three third-place finishes while the women’s team held eight top-three finishes in the contest. 

Senior Almighty Williamson placed first in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.0004 seconds while senior Payne Wylie was close behind placing second with 8.0009 seconds. 

Three Eagles placed in the top four spots of the long jump contest. Junior Eric Haddock Jr. won with a jump of 6.88 meters. Following behind was junior Formula Thompson with a 6.66 meter jump to place second, while senior Dahndray Holmes placed fourth with a 6.39 meter jump.

Graduate student Richie Sadler saw a first-place victory in the triple jump while Haddock Jr. placed second with 14.38 meters. 

Fellow grad student Newlyn Stephenson also placed second in the weight throw with a toss of 22.61.

The Eagles saw three third-place finishes from junior Kaleb Simpson in the 60 meters with a 6.89 time, freshman Josh Flake in the 400 meters with a 50.61 time, and distance runner Sam Peterson in the 800 meters with a personal best time of 1:54.70. 

Junior Linus Vennemann set a personal record winning the 800 meters with a time of 1:52.25.

The women’s side was led by graduate student Alysse Wade winning the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8:50.

Five Eagles on the women’s team placed second in the meet. Sophomore Nyla Joseph-Guevara in the triple jump earned a personal best of 11.11 meters, senior Angel Gazaway in the 60-meter hurdles with a 8:57 time, junior Antonia Woods in the long jump with a 5.53 meter jump, Miranda Caldwell in the weight throw with a 17.95 meter toss, and junior Maura Lane with 3.66 meters in the pole vault. 

Joseph-Guevara also placed third in the long jump with a 5.50 meter jump, while junior Kilani Harvey also placed third in the 200 meters.

The Eagles also saw personal best from the women’s team including a trio of spectacular performances in the long jump contest as freshman Aleah Johnson placed fifth, sophomore Isabella Brent placed sixth, and Safeya Woolcook finished in seventh place. 

Up next, the Eagles will compete in Bowling Green, Ohio, at the Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships Friday-Saturday, Feb. 24-25.