Colors in Harmony cultural talent show set to return after lengthy hiatus

The Colors in Harmony event was cancelled due to COVID for the last 2 years, but it's back.

On Saturday, March 18, the International Student Association will host Colors in Harmony, a cultural talent show highlighting diversity at Eastern Michigan University.

The show will be in the Student Center Auditorium 7-9:30 p.m. The performances will include traditional dance, folk songs, cultural fashion, and much more.

Winter 2023 marks Colors in Harmony's return after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Colors in Harmony started in 1999 as an outlet for students to express their culture and talents through performance. The event allows students to connect and share parts of their culture that aren't regularly displayed. The show offers the community a way to engage with each other and learn more about the many cultures that make up the backgrounds of EMU students.

The International Students Association is a student organization made up of international and American students who are "internationally minded" and strive to "solve problems and create a more globally sensitive environment" while contributing to "awareness of the diversity of EMU's international students," as stated on their LinkedIn page.

Chotika Pitaktouyhan, who most know as Fah, is the student organization president. This year's Color in Harmony will be her first as a member and president of the organization. She hopes to "set the standard for next year's e-board" in hopes that "they can do it better and continue our annual tradition" since this is her last term as president.

"Colors In Harmony is one of ISA's biggest events, and at the same time, it is also our fundraiser of the year," Pitaktouyhan said. "Well, I would say Colors in Harmony would have always been an annual event, but due to COVID, many restrictions made it quite impossible for us to have such a big event that would hold so many people in one space."

Pitaktouyhan thanked the Office of International Students, the Global Alumni, and the Center for Race and Ethnicity for sponsoring the organization and helping with the event's expenses. The aid allows the association to reinvest all the funds into their organization.

"We have various types of performances including a traditional dance, some solo singing, some traditional instruments show, and don't forget about the traditional dress fashion show at the end," Pitaktouyhan said.

This year's Colors in Harmony is slated to be a great comeback for a beloved community staple, she said.

Tickets can be purchased for $10 through @isa_emu on Instagram or directly on EMU's ticketing system.