The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

CLOCK movie poster

Review: CLOCK uses horror to send a message

Starring Dianna Agron, CLOCK is a psychological thriller with feminist undertones.

CLOCK, the psychological horror/thriller starring Dianna Agron, premiered on Hulu in the United States and on Disney+ internationally on April 28.

The feature directorial debut from Alexis Jacknow tells the story of a woman named Ella who would do anything to want to have kids.

As Ella nears her 38th birthday, “nearly geriatric” in the words of her doctor, the pressure to have children looms over her. Her best friend is having a baby, her husband wants them to have a family and her father wants her to continue their family line that was almost lost completely in the Holocaust.

But Ella just can’t seem to muster the desire to have children. She feels like maybe her biological clock is broken. So at the behest of her doctor, she enrolls herself in a clinical trial that promises to make her want kids.

From the moment this movie began, it told a deeply human experience. I was drawn in by the cinematography, and I was on the edge of my seat with the film’s continued sense of suspense.

Not only did I find the film itself engaging, but I was compelled by the story it was trying to tell. As each piece unfolded and each dark corner was lit, I was forced to think deeply about the subject matter and ask myself how it made me feel.

In a society that pushes women to have children, this movie felt poignant and incredibly relevant, especially given the current attacks on reproductive rights across the United States. 

However, not everything in this film worked perfectly.

Originally a short film, the feature length of it felt dragged out, with some plot points and story lines minimally divulged. Overall, the story could have used more depth and detail.

I found many of the horror elements fine, erring on the more suspenseful/thriller side, but the film’s fear quality certainly depends on what you make of it.

Nonetheless, CLOCK’s psychological devastation melds horror with what it’s best at—sending a message. And that message may be multifaceted when walking away from this film.

With an ending almost as harrowing as its beginning, CLOCK comes full circle as it tells a story that toes the line of reality. This film will beg the question of what is real, what is natural—and what should be.

I would rate CLOCK an 8 out of 10.