Eastern Michigan Vs. Toledo (Football)

Four Eastern Michigan football players receive invites to NFL Rookie Minicamps

The Creighton-era of Eagles football has now seen 26 players get invited to an NFL camp and five NFL draft picks.

On Saturday, both Sidy Sow (Bromont, Quebec) and Jose Ramirez (Lake Alfred, Florida) were selected in the 2023 NFL Draft at 117th and 196th overall, respectively. Following the conclusion of the NFL Draft, four Eastern Michigan University football players have received invitations to various NFL rookie minicamps.

Tight end Gunnar Oakes (Swanton, Ohio) was not only selected by the Michigan Panthers with the first pick of the seventh round in the USFL Draft, but also received an invite to the Atlanta Falcons’ minicamp. After redshirting his freshman year, Oakes quickly established an unwavering reputation as a menace in opposing defenses, earning four consecutive seasons in averaging over 10 receiving yards per game.

Dearborn native Hassan Beydoun (Dearborn, Michigan) was invited by the New York Jets, further extending the EMU wide receiver's exceptional career. He will be joining fellow MAC product, Zaire Barnes (Mundelein, Illinois) from Western Michigan, who was drafted 184th overall by the Jets.

Beydoun will undoubtedly be competing for time with the Jets’ 143rd pick, running back Israel Abanikanda (Brooklyn, New York). He is used to a challenge, however, after walking on at Eastern Michigan his freshman year. His junior year performance was record-breaking in totaling 97 receptions in a single season, a program best.

The walk-on’s final season with the Eagles saw him receive many of his passes from quarterback Taylor Powell (Fayetteville, Arkansas). Powell also received an invite to an NFL camp, marking the 25th player in the Creighton-era to do so. He will now be competing for a professional roster spot with the Carolina Panthers.

A transfer from the Troy Trojans, Powell also spent time as an understudy at Missouri to Drew Lock, the now back-up quarterback of the Seattle Seahawks. Though the Panthers famously picked Alabama quarterback Bryce Young (Pasadena, California) with the first overall pick, Powell will add an invaluable amount of experience to their quarterback room.

Finally, wide receiver Dylan Drummond (Cleveland, Ohio) will remain local as he joins the Detroit Lions at their Allen Park offseason training site. During his time as an Eagle, Drummond received multiple academic honors both nationally and conference wide. His consistency showed both on and off the field in ultimately earning fourth in program history for most games played (52) and total receptions (183).

For more information on Eastern Michigan football and athletics, tune in weekly to The Echo’s “TheBlockE Podcast.”